Saturday, May 1, 2010

We're Dog People

But really, now, does anything make you happier than reading about animal heroes?

I found this story about a dog in Alaska (a German Shepherd) that led the state troopers to his home after the house caught fire and his human was injured. Isn’t that incredible? I just love that animals can be so perceptive, can know what to do in an emergency, can be attuned to human fear or need. Dogs love you in the most powerful sense, and I think that love and protective instinct can lead to really awe-inspiring things.

So one time in high school I had to come home from school early because of debilitating menstrual cramps. Sorry if this is TMI, but I used to get horrible cramps. I like to think I’ve got a fairly high pain tolerance, but those cramps felt like I was being punched in the gut over and over. I remember that this day was bad in particular, and I was doubled over with the pain, so my peach of a mother let me come home from school early. Well I went home and arranged myself in a fetal position and lay there moaning and rocking back and forth on my bed. And Einstein, didn’t leave my side all day. (I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the above picture was taken after a bridal shower and we had a ton of leftover ‘pearls.’ I do not often engage in dressing up small animals like humans. I do, however, feel that this photo captures Einstein’s sophistication and a certain je no sais qoi.) (P.S. Einstein is a male dog. DON'T JUDGE ME!)

If you know anything about Einstein, he’s such a lover when he gets pets. He will look at you adoringly, he will throw his head against your chest in the most pitiful of motions, he will take his paw and place it delicately upon your hand to remind you of your masterly duties. But as soon as you stop petting him, sayonara, he has no more use for you. Well I obviously couldn’t spare a thought to pet the little guy because I was rolling around in the depths of despair, but Einey stayed by my side ALL DAY.

So…pretty similar to finding state troopers to respond to a house fire, no?

Anyway, my favorite part of the article was this quote: “Buddy, whose good deed was caught on a patrol car's dashcam video, received a stainless steel dog bowl engraved with words of appreciation from troopers for his ‘diligence and assistance.’”

Isn't that nice?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Einstein is on my lap as I type this. He loves his family and I'm glad he helped you out in your time of need.

    P.S. I love the picture of Einstein with the pearls. He is very sophisticated and elegant even though he is a male dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules: I will overlook your obvious femalization of my ferocious and loyal guy dog! Although not able (or willing) to learn all the kinds of tricks that his Martin dog predecessors routinely showed off....Fritz, Digger, and DJ....Einstein has a personality all his own! AD

    ReplyDelete