Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bedroom Remodeling

Well shoot. I finally getting around to photographing our back bedroom and I can't even find the "before" pictures. I think I'm pretty bad at this "before/after" posting thing.

Anyway, our back bedroom used to be very bare. It was just white walls and carpet. I really wish I could find the picture from when the previous owners lived here because there was a weird spot where blue ink had splashed on the wall (they decided they liked the look, so didn't wash it off, apparently) and the room was the most cluttered man den ever. (Have you ever heard that it's good luck to leave something in the house for the next owners? Our predecessors left a calendar of girls in their bathing suits. Don't you learn just too much about people when you move into their home?)

5/10 Edit: Found some pics of the 'before' bedroom on an alternate computer! Here they are:
If you look closely you can see the ink splatter:
We had some pale greenish blue bedding for that room, but we decided it had to go. We tackled our first major project and here are the results. We painted the walls light gray. I sanded down then painted a little bedside table and this dresser we got off Craigslist.
We knew we wanted some art for those large empty walls but were pretty lazy in our search for it. Art is so beautiful, but it can be expensive. Well my parents offered us a huge painting that used to be in their home in Wichita. After they sold the house out there, they had all this furniture leftover. My brother and I have definitely reaped the benefits of this turn of events. And who'd have guessed it, but it turned out that the painting was the exact shade of purple that was going in to our guest bedroom! You can't really tell here, but the watermelon in the painting adds a really cool splash of red to the room.

We also got this quasi-full length mirror on Craigslist. I say 'quasi-' because it's a little smaller than I thought it was going to be, but you can see your full length if you stand a few feet away (which is what most people do anyway, right?). I love how old-fashioned it looks. Michael thought we should sand it down and paint it so it matches all the other gray in the room. Do you think we should? Please vote in my new poll. I kind of love that dark cherry finish.
So bedroom done, front yard - you're on deck!

1 comment: