Sunday, May 2, 2010

Snakes in an Office

We knew there was a large snake near the office on Wednesday because a coworker had spotted it on her way in the side door. So when I had to leave the office to get some stamps, I slipped out the front door and out to my car. While I was out, I got a phone call from work saying not to go in the front door because the snake was in our lobby. I was completely confused. How had the snake gotten in our lobby? I kept picturing the slitherer coiled up on one of our stuffed chairs reading TIME magazine.

Turns out, this wasn't quite accurate.
The snake was wedged in the front door. If this picture doesn't give you the willies, how about this: I was the one who let the snake in. Because I was the last person to leave the office, it must have slithered its way in while I was on my way out. I came within maybe 1-2 feet of this huge thing. *Shudder*
We called the police, Arizona Humane Society, Arizona Fish & Game and a few others before a guy showed up in a Lexus with a bucket and thick pair of gloves.
Turns out it was a 3.5 foot gopher snake. Don't worry, no animals were hurt in the course of the afternoon. (Unless you count my professional reputation as an animal, which I often do, because everyone kept insisting that I let a snake in the office on purpose.)

But would you believe me if I told you that we had another snake in our office that day? I know, I know, I didn't believe it either. 'Smatter of fact, I didn't even want to include it in this post because it seems so preposterous. But a couple hours after this, a coworker started screaming from a back hallway. A little baby snake (~1 ft. long) was actually in the office proper. (My outcry: "How are these snakes GETTING IN HERE?!?!") We think he got in through the propped-open side door. But in this case, my boss and our Executive Director used various office supplies to drive the snake into a garbage can, then dumped it in the wash behind out office.
I'm never wearing open-toed shoes to work again.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! We just had a snake at our house yesterday! Only my husband wasn't so nice as to call someone to come get it...

    I've also seen them all over the roads lately. I don't ever remember seeing this many, maybe it has something to do with all the rain we had this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH snakes! They definitely freak me out, I would probably be showing up to work in a space suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, I was thinking the same thing. Or maybe that it's getting hot outside so they're coming out? I don't know, but I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete