I got a new job.
Okay, it’s not really a job. It’s more like a side-job/hobby that I’ll be pursuing when I'm not at my real job. But I’m totally excited about it.
I got hired as the Phoenix Barbecue Restaurant Reviewer for Examiner.com! Is that or is that not the most random thing you’ve ever heard of? When I applied I selected a few food types I enjoy/eat often, and they hired me to be their resident BBQ reviewer. Must have been my sassy devil-may-care self description of why I’m qualified to write about it.
So far I’ve published two articles, so I can officially say that I’m a published writer! Should I be embarrassed that my first ever published piece of work is a negative review of a barbecue joint? Maybe. I'm not at that point yet, though, I'm just excited.
I will be paid for the work (my understanding is that I’m receiving something like pennies a day) but the real reason I’m doing it is because I love to eat, I love to write and I’ll be able to say, “Yes, Mr. Literary Agent, I am a published writer. You should really consider representing my novel."
I’ll give you the link to go to my page in a sec. But first, when you go here, would you do me a favor and read both my stories? (Yes, I’m aware that the one on Rustler’s Rooste is negative. I need to establish credibility, people!) Check out the pictures on the slideshows too!
Also, only if you want to, subscribe to me near the top of the page by clicking on the “Subscribe” button. You’ll be notified every time I post an article and I’ll make a few extra pennies, so win-win, eh? No pressure if you don’t want to, I have no way of knowing who subscribes and who doesn’t. And if you decide you want to try to be an Examiner, would you list me as your reference? They have a pretty sweet referral deal.
Edit from later: Great news! I've been promoted to a broader topic! I'm now the Phoenix Cheap Eats Examiner! This means I can write about all kinds of restaurants, not just BBQ. (Lord knows I'll still be eating it though, I do love it.) I wonder if anyone stumbling across my Cheap Eats page will wonder why I've only written about barbecue so far. Anyway, I'm excited because this gives me more scope! Here is my page:
Way Cool! Congrats on being published!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED your review on Rustler's Roost, not only because you have the gift of the written word, but because you were right on, according to my sources (as I have never stepped foot there). I've never heard a positive review of the food. So its high time someone shouted it from the examiner rooftops...maybe someone will actually take the good feedback and use it!
ReplyDeleteJulie, How exciting. . . you are a writer! I read both your reviews and loved the pictures. They made me very hungry. I agree with you on Rustlers' Roost but haven't visited Dickey's BBQ yet. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to eating out with a "food critic" ;-)
ReplyDelete