Monday, October 10, 2011

Foodie?

Parenthood is like one big question of "Am I doing this right?" Sometimes I think I'm an obvious rookie and other times I consider the people who leave their babies in the car and I think I'm pretty good by comparison. (Maybe there should have been a question mark at the end of that sentence.)

June started solid foods around 5.5 months. We waited longer than many, shorter than some. So far we've given her avocado, peas, carrots and zucchini - all made at home for nutritional assurance, convenience and cost savings. She was so into it in the beginning. She'd eat half an avocado without batting an eye, opening her mouth over and over until my little bowl was empty and her face was covered in green goo.

She's kind of lost her feel for the solids in the past week. After about 10 bites she turns her head away, starts staring out the window, starts babbling to herself and starts blowing raspberries. (This has led to a kitchen floor covered in multicolored splats of baby food. It's actually kind of pretty.)

I'm not going to push it...I don't want meal times to be stressful for her or me and I know we won't get anywhere by forcing her to eat. The thing I'm unsure of is whether or not to continue offering the food. Do I give her a break from it and hope she comes around

She's obviously getting all the nutrition she needs (chubby thighs and pediatrician say so) so I think we'll just continue on as is. Breastfeeding is still going great, as is pumping at work. June's developed this little habit of stroking my chest from armpit to mid-chest region while she nurses. If she starts muttering about "the precious" I might worry, but for now I think she's just cute and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment