Wednesday, May 22, 2013

DIY Tutu Dress

When my sister in law, Lauren, originally got engaged to my now sister in law, Meredith, I was immediately excited for the wedding. At one point Meredith sent me an image she had Pinned with June in mind - a little girl in a tutu and cowboy boots. As you can imagine, adorable beyond belief, and my imagination started going. 

I'd heard that making tutus were very easy, so I considered making my own. I wanted to glam it up a little, though, so I started looking around for inspiration. I fell in love with this dress, which I found on Etsy by Googling "toddler tutu dress." 


It cost $89, and I was sure I could make one for under that price. 

I gathered my materials:

25 yard rolls of tulle in ivory (4) - $12 
Ivory crocheted headbands in the biggest size available - 12 for $12
Spool of ivory ribbon - $4
Fabric flowers - $18 (6 packages)

Total cost: $37, factoring in that I ended up using 3 of the headbands

Those fabric flowers were the hardest part, trying to find ones that would work and look right. I went with these, from Hobby Lobby:


And here is June modeling the crocheted headbands when they arrived.


There are a lot of links to help make your own tutu dress out there, and I used the ones found at this link the most. 



When I was done with my three rows of tulle, I had a huge puffball of a dress on my lap to sew flowers onto. This part was the hard, time-consuming task. Each one of those flowers were hot-glued to one big piece of felt, so they had to be cut apart. Then, because of the hot glue, sewing them was no easy task. It was like trying to push a sewing needle through concrete. So after some injuries, and after sewing only three flowers in an hour, I went a different route and tried sewing the edges of the flowers.

It still took forever, but it was better than the alternative.

My advice to anyone else out there going for this look is to find fabric flowers that do not have hot glue anywhere on them! (You'd think this would be easy, but I had a hard enough time.)

I had June model her dress just to make sure it fit after all the stretching and sewing. Thank goodness it did! Problem was that June loved to pull it down:


I knew I was going to put a strap of some kind in, but this told me that I had to make this dress as sturdy as possible with two over-the-shoulder straps. Sewed those babies on and we were done!

Without further ado, I present the finished product:




And after traveling with the dress (which I wondered about, but we just flattened it and it poofed back out once we got there), it was time for the big day!




 More pictures of the wedding to come!

17 comments:

  1. I will have to share this with my daughter, who just loves designing her own clothes. It's a talent that was passed down to her from me. It's what bonds us together. We can definitely apply our talents in learning how to make a tutu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooow very nice tutu dress,, I have a question,, how I can attach a feather boa on the bottom of the tutu dress???!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zahra - I'm not sure that would be possible with this style of tutu. Since this is made of hundreds of 'strands' of the tulle, it is too fluid a border/edge to sew a boa onto.

      Delete
  3. How did you get all the headbands connected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't need to. I bought the largest headbands I could find and used only one. (Although two broke while making it, so I'm glad I bought the package of headbands instead of a single one.) I did wonder if it would be big enough, but adding all of the tulle stretched it out plenty.

      Delete
  4. hello julie! cute pictures! can you tell me how large was "large"? i want to make a dress for my 2yo niece and she's not here for me to have her try things on so i have to guess :/ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, i mean the crochet headband :P

      Delete
  5. Pretty, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is looking so cute in this tutu dress. White colored tutu dress is looking amazing and the bow I like the most. You can also buy tutu dress as now there is a huge trend of these dresses. So who don't know how to design it can buy online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you add the feathers to the bottom of the tulle..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      I didn't add feathers to the bottom of mine, but I imagine it could be done. It'd be a little time consuming - you'd need to sew, glue or otherwise secure a feather or bunch of feathers to the end of each tulle strand. If you try this out, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  8. Hi Julie,

    Great tulle dress! I'm making one for my 18mo's "itsy bitsy" spider costume, but I'm having a hard time finding the elastic crochet headbands. Where on earth did you buy a pack of 12 for $12?? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many headbands were used and what size?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might suggest that you buy a crochet top, and headbands available on line at Justtulle.com or hairbowcenter.com or most of the on line places that they sell crochet tops. it makes it much easier to use one piece rather than three smaller ones. They are sold in several different lengths and widths, they come lined and unlined. I make tutus for all occasions and love to find new patterns to make. missjudysacessories@yahoo.com
    I also find most of the accessories on line at a much lower price than in the stores. Altho I do find many things at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you find patterns? My granddaughter is turning four and loves tutus. I would love to make her many different styles.

      Delete
  11. This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost�HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool! Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don�t know if it�s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your blog. It seems like some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This could be a problem with my internet browser because I�ve had this happen previously. Many thanks you could try here

    ReplyDelete