When my sister in law, Lauren, originally got engaged to my now sister in law, Meredith, I was immediately excited for the wedding. At one point Meredith sent me an image she had Pinned with June in mind - a little girl in a tutu and cowboy boots. As you can imagine, adorable beyond belief, and my imagination started going.
I'd heard that making tutus were very easy, so I considered making my own. I wanted to glam it up a little, though, so I started looking around for inspiration. I fell in love with this dress, which I found on Etsy by Googling "toddler tutu dress."
It cost $89, and I was sure I could make one for under that price.
I gathered my materials:
25 yard rolls of tulle in ivory (4) - $12
Ivory crocheted headbands in the biggest size available - 12 for $12
Spool of ivory ribbon - $4
Fabric flowers - $18 (6 packages)
Total cost: $37, factoring in that I ended up using 3 of the headbands
Those fabric flowers were the hardest part, trying to find ones that would work and look right. I went with these, from Hobby Lobby:
And here is June modeling the crocheted headbands when they arrived.
There are a lot of links to help make your own tutu dress out there, and I used the ones found at this link the most.
When I was done with my three rows of tulle, I had a huge puffball of a dress on my lap to sew flowers onto. This part was the hard, time-consuming task. Each one of those flowers were hot-glued to one big piece of felt, so they had to be cut apart. Then, because of the hot glue, sewing them was no easy task. It was like trying to push a sewing needle through concrete. So after some injuries, and after sewing only three flowers in an hour, I went a different route and tried sewing the edges of the flowers.
It still took forever, but it was better than the alternative.
My advice to anyone else out there going for this look is to find fabric flowers that do not have hot glue anywhere on them! (You'd think this would be easy, but I had a hard enough time.)
I had June model her dress just to make sure it fit after all the stretching and sewing. Thank goodness it did! Problem was that June loved to pull it down:
I knew I was going to put a strap of some kind in, but this told me that I had to make this dress as sturdy as possible with two over-the-shoulder straps. Sewed those babies on and we were done!
Without further ado, I present the finished product:
And after traveling with the dress (which I wondered about, but we just flattened it and it poofed back out once we got there), it was time for the big day!
More pictures of the wedding to come!