Monday, May 27, 2013

Lauren and Mer's Wedding

As I mentioned in my last post, Lauren and Meredith certainly had their share of adversity to overcome in the planning of their wedding. Their first wedding venue cancelled on them two weeks out (!) and their second wedding venue cancelled on them two days out (!!). So when they were able to find a third venue, their friends and family came together to turn it into a wedding site. The site ended up being the very same Bed & Breakfast that we were staying at, which ended up being awesome for us from a convenience standpoint. 

On Saturday morning, after waking up and eating breakfast, we strolled outside and started setting up. 

Over the course of the day, I'd say there were about 30 people who all helped out with tasks big and small. I was touched. How wonderful for Lauren and Mer to be a part of a community so willing to devote their time to them. 

Here are all of the flower arrangements. The great many bottles collected over time each had to be filled with water and manually arranged with the hundreds of blooms that were purchased or picked. 


Working on these was so much fun. I loved just listening to everyone's commentary while they worked.

"I think the problem is that I'm simply not creative."
"I feel that I've been given too much responsibility in the flower department."

One of my biggest contributions was hanging some of them by floral wire from the tent:


By the end of the night, only two had fallen and none directly on top of anyone. So, success!

An hour and a half before show time, I headed upstairs to get ready. Since I'm so terrible at getting photos of myself, this is the only one I have of me that includes by boots! (And Judy, who was my twin. Lace on top, boots on bottom!)


And another that gets a full-length of June!


It started to rain (good luck!) and we decided to wait it out. It turned out great - the skies dried up and the sun made its way through.




June was one of the flower girls. There was a small gaggle of them that all came out together. 


This is one of my favorite photos of Uncle Bill helping June down the stairs. June could take the steps normally, but with that big dress, she wasn't able to see the step below her. Doesn't Uncle Bill look like the ultimate gentleman, helping the girls down the stairs? Adorable.


Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pictures of the ceremony. For one, we were looking right into the sun, so they might not have turned out great. For two, I was honored to take part in the wrapping ceremony, bringing a quilt from our side of the family up to the altar. For three, I was busy feeding June ALL THE CRACKERS, as I am apparently not above bribery to keep her happy during weddings. And after weddings. "June, please stop climbing on all the chairs and come take exciting photos! Don't photos sound fun? No? Then smile for a minute and you can have a cracker."




And then it was time to relax and enjoy.




(The ONLY picture I have of the three of us from the whole trip:)


June could NOT WAIT to get on the dance floor. She dance from the moment we wandered under the tent until the moment I carried her off to bed. She outlasted most adults. Girl just loves to dance. (There was one particularly wild dance we did together to Florence + the Machine's "Dog Days are Over" that ended with a young girl looking at my hair and asking, "Do you really sweat that much?")



June was also pretty sweaty. Tulle is very hot, as I learned after hours of sewing with it on my lap. After a few hours of June dancing, I was glad we'd thought to bring her a backup dress in case anything happened to her tutu dress (including June just hating it). So June had a wardrobe change! What a diva!


A lot of people asked how June liked her cowboy boots. I did worry a little before the wedding that they wouldn't be comfortable enough for her. They had a little heel on them and I had a backup pair of shoes in case they bothered her. But she insisted on wearing them all night and the next morning when we tried to get her in her jellies, she demanded the boots then too:


At 11:30 I decided that it was time to bring June upstairs and put her to bed. The party continued on and I was so happy to snuggle my little Bug upstairs knowing the family was still having fun under the tent.

So I leave you with a picture of two sweaty girls after a night of celebrating the love of two awesome women.


Congratulations, Lauren and Meredith! I'm so glad everything came together so wonderfully!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post on Lauren's wedding! We were so sorry we couldn't make it and with your post and all the pictures we felt we were almost there! Everyone looked great in their beautiful wedding ensembles. Lauren, Mer, the girls, you, Michael, Judy, Fred and especially June in her fantastic flower girl tutu! I loved your description of how everyone came together to help with the wedding preparations. I love weddings: the love, the dresses, the celebration, the dancing and the love (again)! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete