Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We Make Plans

When I picture God in a humanly image (because most times He's just to big to put into human forms), His form changes a lot.

Sometimes He looks like King Tritan.
Except, you know, minus the fish tale. (Mer-MAN! Mer-MAN!)

Other times He looks like Morgan Freeman.
Although less so since hearing about this awful ordeal which I hope isn't true.

Point is, I see God as a loving, all-knowing fatherly figure. One who is doting and kind but also knows how to give you a stern eye that makes you slowly climb down from the roof after deciding you could do a mega-jump onto the trampoline two stories below. But also the type to find beauty and humor in small things, like a sassy comment from an old lady or a potato chip that looks like a celebrity.

I don't find much in common with the religions that paint God out to be this wrathful, menacing, unforgiving being. Don't get me wrong, I know God has His rules and standards and I believe He sticks to them. So while I approach God with humility and reverence, I still see Him as approachable, you know? I feel like I don't have to be on my knees every time I pray. (Sometimes you can be desperately clutching your husband's hand during a particularly bumpy airplane takeoff and I think He gets the message just fine.)

Part of my image of God as having a good sense of humor comes from the next up in my series of Martin Idioms. I can't tell you how many times while growing up I heard, "We make plans, God laughs."

Doesn't that image just fill you up to the brim with affection for God, picturing him laughing good-naturedly at us mere humans making big ol' decisions while He has complete other plans for us? Like the time I decided to major in Public Relations and gave it one semester before deciding I didn't even know what Public Relations was. (Don't look at me like that, I know what it is now.) I just picture God having a nice little chuckle, saying, "Aw, bless. She thinks she knows what she's doing."

Or the time that we planned on having a romantic evening in Venice and ended up taking planes, trains and automobiles across the European continent, concluding with a breathtaking view of the world's most romantic city and an incredible story. He's got bigger plans and a better perspective.

Usually Mom or Dad would say this little diddy in a much smaller circumstance, such as a cancelled party or a delayed flight, but that doesn't make a difference in the message I took from it. Sometimes bigger things are at play. Sometimes it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes it makes you feel better inside to absorb those disappointments and view it as a step in what was undoubtedly the right direction for you.

And for the record, I don't feel that God would find this post flippant or blasphemous. I feel like He'd be amused, like a father looking at his small child's finger painting. Not as interesting as a sassy old lady but more serious than a Paul McCartney Frito Lay.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. 1. When did you start reading the National Inquirer? I thought I knew you.

    2. If you have questions about God, ask Smith. He knows the most about Him seeing as he just hung out with him 4 months ago. Call his secretary (me) and I'll pencil you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie Jules: I think you have hit a new high in describing God and his relationship with our family!!! The fact is that He does have a purpose for us....sometimes that we don't have a clue about. And the fact is that we should always continue to plan....but be a bit patient and understanding when things don't go the way we want....I have long concluded that sometimes he chuckles at me, while other times I swear I can hear loud guffaws!! I truly love your blogs.....all my love, AD (Anonymous Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog thought-provoking and agree that he has a greater plan for us. I am counting on it since I have no idea what I am doing now :)

    ReplyDelete