Friday, August 27, 2010

A Long-Overdue Job Update

Today is the last Friday I will be working at my current place of employment.

This has been a major thing going on in my life for the past two months but I haven't blogged about it. I've had a lot of thoughts, feelings, fears, hopes and questions about the whole process...but couldn't put them down on this blog for a few reasons. The first and most important is that this is a public blog and you never know who is reading (and sometimes you know who is reading and that affects what you say, too).

Knowing that, I will attempt to briefly explain what's going on while being concise and politically correct.

My job is moving in one direction. It is a direction that doesn't really fit with me professionally. I know this. My boss knows this. Mid- last month I went in and was upfront with her and decided we should part ways amicably.

I did not have another job lined up. This caused quite a bit of uneasiness in me, the idea of facing that abysmal hole known as the job market, wondering how long Michael and I would be living off of just his income. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of money saved up for such an occasion, but who wants to dip into their savings when you don't have to? Still, I felt great about essentially being forced to do what I'd been considering for quite some time...trying a next step in what I hope is a journey toward finding out what I really want to do with my time on this planet.

The C.E. (current employer) was very kind in understanding that I was out there looking for another job. I went on a few interviews and ... got hired! I'm very relieved and excited to report that I will be starting work at my N.E. (new employer) the day after Labor Day, giving me a nice little week off in between jobs.

I might be jumping the gun by posting this so early, but I'm tired of censoring myself on this blog. (I say this while writing a very vague and censored explanation of this whole thing...oy vey.)If something falls through then I'd rather be able to vent about it here than keep it all inside like I have been doing. (Keeping it all inside to you, I should add, because Michael sure has gotten an ear-full.)

I can't wait to give you updates on the new job! Also, as we move into September, my hope is that the slowly lowering temperatures will provide Michael and me with the motivation to actually do things on the weekends instead of cooping ourselves up in our little den of air conditioning.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats again Jules! The grass will be greener on the N.E. side :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new job! I can't wait to hear all about it once you start. Good luck and enjoy your week off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new job, Julie! I hope it takes your career in the direction you want and that it makes you very happy!

    ReplyDelete