Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hokey Karaoke

Don't you wish you could be just wonderful at karaoke? Don't just you imagine that you'd go up to the mike in front of hundreds of bar patrons and sound just like you do in the car or in the shower? Don't you wish that the crowd would either scream along with you because they're so pumped, or else fall silent in awe of how awesome you are at singing?

Unfortunately, it's a lot harder than it looks. I've sung karaoke a few times in my life. In New Zealand I did a moving rendition of Boyz II Men's "I'll Make Love to You." You've also read about Shannon and me doing "A Whole New World" on the cruise. But I think my favorite incident of doing karaoke was at a shower I had right before our wedding. The first part of the night was a lingerie shower (*wiggles eyebrows*) at a cool local bar called Geisha-a-GoGo. We had a nice, rather large group of ladies but some had to leave early. So with our smaller group we made our way back to one of the small private rooms in the back that are rented out for private karaoke parties!

It was nice because I didn't have to impress a lot of people, we just belted our little hearts out in front of 8 close comrades. And we got to sing over and over again, rather than waiting for your once chance at a public karaoke joint. By the end of the night it was all of us shouting the songs at each other instead of just one or two people singing. And anyway, you have to love when four white girls get up and sing "Gangsta's Paradise."

I'm not sure why the following picture is the only one I currently have of us singing. You can see my mom and Pam doing a lovely dance during an instrumental bridge in a song. You can see the microphone and the TV with the words in the background.
Here's the whole group of karaoke'ers.
So here is my list of karaoke songs I'd like to sing if given the chance:

Piano Man - Billy Joel
Fever - Michael Buble or other
I'll Stand by You - Pretenders
Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! Those pictures brought back so many fun memories!!! I had a blast at your shower (it didn't hurt that we all had a few Cosmopolitans to warm us up ;-))
    You did an awesome job singing with Shannon on the cruise. I wish you and Michael had have sung a duet also. Maybe next time. . .

    ReplyDelete