Monday, June 1, 2009

Another Weekend, Another Game Night

One thing that I look forward to every month is Game Night, when a whole bunch of our friends get together and play games. The couple that hosts provides the drinks (usually beer and wine, plus a signature cocktail - our Mint Juleps didn't go over so well), while all attending couples bring some appetizers, finger-foods or dessert. We started out just as girls-only get togethers, but found that we never actually played any games, we just sat around and chatted the hours away. But ever since we included the men in our lives, the gaming started and hasn't stopped!

The funny thing about this weekend's game night is that everybody brought dessert. No one brought dessert to the last one, so I guess we all decided to take it upon ourselves to remedy the problem, so we ended up with a bountiful buffet of brownies, cookies, cobblers, cakes and various flavored sweet breads. Needless to say, we were all on the verge of sugar-induced comas by the end of the night. Here's a picture of the brownies and lemon-walnut bread that we contributed:


We started off the night with a game of Apples to Apples, which is a game I have mixed feeling about as it relies on other people selecting your contributed card as the 'best.' It was a fun game, but in the final round I decided to sneek an extra card just to be funny. Here is a picture of my friends shaming me for 'cheating.' I didn't think it was cheating because it was all in good fun, and d'Averill didn't select my card anyway.

After that we brought out RockBand, which is a video game where you play instruments along to some great songs. This always leads to some funny moments, and here is one of my favorites of Michael jamming out on drums:

Later, Michael did guitar as I sang vocals to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."

And here's a group shot. Unfortunately it was taken after our friends Lyndsey and Tim left.

From left to right we have Mike, Ashly, Derek, Jaye, Jeff, Marisa and d'Averill.

On a side note, I'd just like to report that Michael's first outing with his "little brother" went really well this Saturday. Little Michael seems like a really funny kid, having Big Michael take him all over town, including to the library and to a public pool to go swimming. My personal favorite story was when a bee was flying at Little Michael and he batted it away into the water, shouting (with a deadpan expression) "Sucka!" I can't wait to hear about more of their outings.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a HILARIOUS time! Love the expressions on all your friends faces throughout the night! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times! What a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean, your mint juleps didn't go over well? I thought they were delish! We definitely had an overload of dessert this time. We'll have to somehow make this work out better!

    ReplyDelete