Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Would you rather...

Work five 8-hour days or four 10-hour days?

A long time ago my employer made the switch to four 8-hour days. I loved it. It was so wonderful having Fridays off. Every weekend was a long weekend. Thursdays were the new Fridays. Fridays were the new Saturdays. Saturdays were ... well, they still felt like Saturday, but like an extra Saturday because you still didn't have to get up for work the next day. I even worked sort of near the office, so those 10-hour shifts weren't too bad.

When management got changed, we reverted back to the five 8-hour days. I was pretty upset to be losing my 3 day weekends. Sayonara, extra sleep-in day! And by then we had moved into our new home, meaning one more day of a 50 minute commute! Ugh.

Well, I've gotten used to my 8-hour day. I enjoyed getting to work at 8am so I could leave at 4. I'd get home around 5, with plenty of time for the gym, making dinner and watching Jeopardy with Michael.

This is the first week of the official work summer calendar, which means we have the option to go back to a four 10-hour day week until August begins. In a lot of ways I've been looking forward to this for weeks: "Blessed long weekends, you have returned!"

So why am I dreading this return to the long short week? Is it because my commute is so much longer, meaning I might not get home until nearly 7pm, so I won't be able to get in all my extra curric's? I changed my hours to be 7-5 to accomodate a little, but still. Is it because the days just seem so long when they're 10 hours long? Is it because sitting in an office chair for 10 hours is making my butt feel like it's getting flatter and flatter? Is this scientifically possible?

Or will all these feelings fade away this Friday morning when I'm sitting on my couch in my sweatpants watching Robinhood: Prince of Thieves?

Please tell me (by way of poll over ----> there) which you would rather work.

4 comments:

  1. I am a 4-10 hour day girl myself. The extra day on the weekend makes me super happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most days I'm at the office 9-10 hours anyways, so I'd go for 4/10s. Or what I'm doing, considering I like milking my overtime for all it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 4/10! I'm often already there for 10-12 hours... so it would be an extra day off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto the 4-10s, I totally think your bootie can get flatter--mine does when I fb too much! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete