Friday, June 18, 2010

On the Bright Side

Well, we've officially come to that time again.

We've left the land of cool evenings and lovely afternoons into the desolate, parched land of One Hundred Degrees Plus. Or more like One Hundred Ten Degrees Plus.

Oh, but it's so hot outside. What are we supposed to do when it's 115 degrees outside? People ask why we Arizonans aren't very tan in the summer. It's because it's too hot to stay outside. Even after dipping in the pool, the water evaporates off you after a minute and you're left baking like an ant under a magnifying glass.

So because the Arizona summer comes with so many 'cons,' I thought I'd make a list of 'pros' to try to trick myself into being glad the season has come.
  1. Arizona shopkeepers and restauranteurs seem intent on blasting their shops with the air of the Arctic. Now, when you step outside, you have a few wonderful moments of thaw that feel great
  2. I get to test out the "MAX COLD" air conditioning setting on the Prius
  3. The snow birds have left Arizona, making the roads a safer place. Side note: One time while getting off a ramp of the freeway, I was terrified to realize that a car was driving toward me in the wrong direction! I pulled off as far as I could and stared in horror at the oncoming driver. When I looked over, it was a little old lady who could barely see over the steering wheel. Thank goodness she soon pulled over after (seemingly) realizing what she was doing.
  4. Fewer people want to be in AZ. That means shorter wait times for restaurants, smaller crowds at movies, etc. etc.
  5. Red is a good color for me. As in, my face is constantly a shade of red from over-heating
  6. I get more exercise. I am now motivated to jog the 15 steps from my office to my car
  7. Saguaro cacti have stopped sprouting their strange buds that creep me out because they look like warts
  8. If the power ever goes out, I'll still be able to cook dinner on the sidewalk in front of the house
  9. My hair takes 30 minutes to dry naturally once out of the shower. No matter that it dries with a strange semi-wave and is ultra-staticky.
  10. We get to escape it all by GOING TO GREECE!

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo for your big fat Greek vacation. bet that't the first time you ever heard THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cacti buds freak me the heck out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, as a lover of Arizona (although I am now a snowbird. . . ) I want to bring to your attention that those cacti buds bloom into gorgeous flowers!!! Also, you ask what to do when it's 110 plus degrees outside: you stay inside, go in the pool, go to the movies. . . the same thing all those people who live in the snow in winter do when it snows. You are funny the way you describe the heat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this heat!!! I could make an amazing list about what I could do in it, haha!!

    Yay for your vacation! I can't wait to see lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete