Thanks to Jaye, I'm now aware of a cute little farmer's market near our home. It's not huge, we could never do all our shopping here, but I have bought a few things. Mostly, though, I just love walking past the stands with all the freshly grown produce laying around.
Last week I bought a small basket of nectarines because the whole thing was only $4. They enticed me into it by giving me a sample of the sweetest, juiciest morsel of fruit you've ever tasted. Michael makes a bold statement over my shoulder that we'll never eat that many nectarines before they go bad. He, however, had just bought a loaf of sourdough bread, which I didn't think we'd finish, so now we were even.
Well, sure enough those nectarines had softened up beautifully before we had the chance to eat them all, so I did what anyone would do: try to make homemade jam.
Turned out pretty good, too.

Yeah, I know it looks kind of funny. The instructions tell you to turn the jar upside down for five minutes while it sets. I might have accidentally left it like that for more like 40 minutes, so it looked like this. Don't worry, once I stirred it, it looks like normal jam again.
It might be a tad stiffer than your typical jam. I had to improvise with measurements because I didn't have as much of everything as the instructions recommended, so my amount of pectin (firming substance) was a bit off.
Anyway, it's so delicious and tangy. Jam on!
That's some awesome looking jam! Go you!
ReplyDeleteJules, I am so proud of you! I have never even tried to make jam/jelly!!!
ReplyDelete