Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Story behind the Video

Okay, now that my last post has been up for two days, I'd like to provide some back story.

I love to dance. Have you heard?

So, last Friday, when Michael had to work a game, I decided to do something. I decided to make a surprise pregnancy dance video for him. I was going to just press the record button on my camera and then dance around the living room for a few minutes, but I had this vision of my big opening being my belly poking out from around a corner, so I couldn't film the thing myself.

I enlisted the help of Remi. The voicemail I left her only teased "Surprise pregnancy dance video" and her phone call response was immediately "I'M IN." Except she and her husband Cole had their sights set much higher. Soon I was over at their place and we were scouting out different places I could dance ("Maybe get in the hot tub!" "We could record out in the orchard behind the house!").

Rem was in charge of the recording. Cole was in charge of the audio. I danced. Smith waved.

During one part where I danced down the hallway, Remi was on rollerblades with a phone tucked in her belt (from which the music was playing) and the camera in one hand and Cole was pulling her backwards WHILE holding an obliging Smith. See?

(He takes his waving very seriously.)

When we were done, they showed me how to use the iMovie software on their Mac and left me to my own devices when it came to editing. I was technically babysitting Smith at the time, but seeing as he only made a couple coo-ing sounds from his crib and then self-soothed back to sleep, I don't feel like I did much.

I was so excited to share the finished product with Michael. I sent him to the grocery store to get him out of the house. I put a note on the door saying, "Please proceed immediately to the couch and press PLAY." (The 'immediately' was neccessary because I had hidden the same camera on our bookshelf to record his reaction.) I had cued up the video on our TV and was hiding in the back bedroom...and nearly went insane with impatience as I listened to Michael put away all the groceries before going to the couch to watch.

How I loved listening to his laughter as he watched!

Anyway, we agreed that I might as well share the video with people. So if you haven't seen it yet, here is the link again. Hope you enjoyed it even half as much as I did making it with these friends!

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, best idea ever!
    We showed it to Der and my brother last night - and everyone couldn't stop laughing! Jordan interjected with - "Only Julie could pull this off!" So like you Darling, to do something so completely YOU.

    Good job Remi, Cole and Smith for taking her idea and (literally) rolling with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, Jaye. It is so totally Julie, and I agree with Michael too. Life will never be dull with Julie in it. Julie, you make life sparkle for everyone around you. Thank you.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we lived closer and I could be your friend. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa, whoa, whoa.

    you exposed only our lamest ideas! What about swinging into the water on the ropeswing?

    or emerging from the water like "the swamp thing"???

    c'mon. give us some credit here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Rem. You're quite right, my favorite of your ideas was the belly slowly surfacing out from the water. I didn't include it because I wanted to save the idea for when we do a video next time you get pregnant!

    Thanks for the comments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete