I had dinner reservations at sunset and everything. The gift situation was all arranged - we decided that the new Mac Book Pro we bought will be our gift to each other - and we were going to go out on the town on Sunday night.
But...
We just had such an active weekend! Michael had a quick out-of-town trip for work on Thursday, was gone all day Friday and got home at about 3am on Saturday morning. We got up and took maternity pictures with my friend Lyndsey. After that I went to my baby shower. After that I raced home just in time to change clothes and leave to meet friends and family out to celebrate my brother’s birthday. That night, as I was going to sleep, I kept thinking about how nice it would be to have a lazy Sunday and stay in. But the Valentine’s Day plans I'd made!
So Sunday morning, while we were getting ready to go to Hypnobabies class, I danced around the topic of asking him if he was excited about our plans until finally he asked me if I wanted to go. I had an outburst (“I DON’T THINK I DO! It’s just that, I love lazy Sundays and we’d have to get all dressed up and we’d spend a lot of money and I’d just as much like to sit with you on the couch in our sweatpants and this weekend has been so busy already!”) and then asked him if he wanted to go (“I feel like I’m walking into a trap. If I say I don’t want to go then you’ll be upset.”), which prompted me to quote Admiral Ackbar (“It’s a trap!”) until we finally hugged and thanked the heavens we were so compatible.
(If you didn't know, there is a whole cult following of Star Wars' Admiral Ackbar and his big scene where he proclaims, "It's a trap!" Seriously, you should Google Image Admiral Ackbar and see all the weird stuff that comes up. Some of my fave spoofs include "It's a cap!" with a picture of the Admiral in a jaunty cap, "It's a tarp!" with a picture of a tarp, and "It's a crap" with a picture of...well, you get the idea.)So that’s how we came to cancel our reservations and celebrate Valentine’s Day in our sweats on the couch with me getting the occasional hair tickles. Oh wait, there was some excitement – Michael went to the grocery store while I bought a wall decal for the baby room! I know it doesn’t sound very romantic, but I really enjoyed it and was so glad we did what we did. We had a big night out the night before with JP and were fine with just hanging at home. At about 4:50 when I was half asleep on the couch with Michael, I was so glad I wasn’t getting ready to leave the house for our dinner reservations!
I love it! I wrote Cole a love letter like a week before v-day, thought I should probably wait until v-day to give it to him because then he wouldn't have anything on v-day itself, and then thought, "what the? isn't v-day a day devoted to the one you love? does it really have to be THAT day? couldn't it be any old day you devote to your lover?"
ReplyDeleteand so, I vetoed the day to. well, we did.
the end.