Tuesday, August 9, 2011

1 Month vs 4 Months

When I was pregnant and having a rough time of it with morning sickness I wondered if I'd ever be willing to have a second child and risk suffering through it again. I was told by at least three people, "Don't worry, you forget. Once the baby's here, you forget how bad it was and you'll be willing to have another."

I heard the same idea surrounding childbirth. "Sure, it's bad, but you forget about it. Mother Nature made it this way so we'd all have more than one."

I have another example.

When I had finished uploading a new batch of pictures to our computer, Michael and I looked through some of the old ones. We came across the pictures from June when she was only a month old. I thought it'd be fun to see how much bigger she'd gotten. It wasn't fun at all.

Because we had trouble feeding in the beginning, June lost a lot of weight and looked very skinny. It worried us but we wouldn't give up on breastfeeding and June eventually started fattening up again.

She's so chubby now that I almost forgot what it had been like when she was so tiny. Going through those pictures from only 3 months ago was heartbreaking to me. Michael semi-jokingly said we should just delete them all because they were so hard for us to look at. I won't, though, because I want to remember that we went through it and that we got through it. In case it happens again, I'll see those pictures and remember how small she got and how quickly she improved.

At one month old she was 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21.5 inches long.
At four months she's 16 lbs, 3 oz and 25.5 inches.

Here are those pictures, then and now, if you're interested in seeing.



In case it give you any perspective, those stickers are all the same size. So the sticker that covered her whole belly at 1 month covers half that size now.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you...it was a bit painful to see June's 1-month pictures but so important to see now quickly she regained her weight. You have been a wonderful mother and are taking such good care of June. I hope that you will always have more joys than sorrows! June is so blessed to have you and Michael as parents.

    ReplyDelete