Saturday, June 25, 2011

Traveling with Baby

In a couple of weeks we are doing le tour de grandma. Which is to say, we are traveling to the homeland (the Midwest) to visit family! We will see both sets of parents, four grandmas and one grandpa. And possibly a couple of aunts, uncles and cousins. All in four days.

I'd love any advice you may have for traveling with an infant. June will be 3 months old, so I'm not too worried about toys or keeping her entertained or anything like that. I'm breastfeeding, so I don't need to worry about packing food or bringing bottles through security, etc.

Here's what I have so far:
  • I'll feed her on the way up and down in the plane to help regulate the pressure in her ears
  • We won't try adjust her to the time change
  • We're not bringing a stroller. We use the Moby so much that we wouldn't use it and it would just be a hassle to pack
  • We will be bringing the car seat
What I still haven't figured out completely:
  • How many outfits to pack
  • To pack diapers or buy some once we get there
  • Her sleeping location situation
  • How diaper changes on the plane will work (I know to bring only one dipe and wipes back to the bathroom instead of the whole diaper bag, but still. Have you seen the size of those air-port-o-johns? Are they regulation size or what?)
  • What I'm going to wear on the flight (to be warm enough on the plane, cool enough in both Phoenix and Indy, be able to wear the Moby AND have easy boob access for feedings.)
In addition to a four-hour flight, we'll also have two 1.5 hour drives. June's pretty great in the car (as long as she's not due for a feeding) so I'm not too worried about this. I'm mostly worried about fussiness and screaming on the plane. I'm not one of those people who think "DEAL WITH IT" to strangers...I'm the kind to be very self-conscious, embarrassed and apologetic. Maybe the Moby will work its wonders and we'll get some good sleep from her.

So, once again, I'd love any baby-related travel advice!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I don't have answers to all those questions, but I know what worked well for us.

    We too, are in love with wearing the baby (at least when he was smaller, and now with the Ergo), but found it so helpful to have the stroller just to cart stuff around the airport. Some people feel that you shouldn't check the car seat in case it doesn't arrive on the other end, and they will gate check it for you, so I find it helpful to bring it to the gate. Also, if they happen to have an extra seat on the plane that isn't full, they will give it to June, and then you can use the car seat! Hooray!!!

    It was easier for us to change diapers on the seat. either you or hubby can just stand up and June can lay on the seat. Just a thought.

    How many outfits does she go through in a day at home? Pack that amount, and add a few simple things - extra onesies or jammies/pants/shorts but not too many. I assume all the grandma's will have laundry in which you can wash cloths if you need to.

    For you, wear layers! Nursing tank, maybe a light sweater. But layers, for sure. I liked to wear the wrap with a tank and then put a light sweater over it.

    I would get diapers/wipes there. Or maybe you can have grandma pick some up so they are ready for your arrival!

    For where to sleep her once there ... not sure. with you? make a "makeshift" floor bed? bottom drawer of dresser (kidding!)? Have you seen those travel beds? I think Babies R Us has a few varieties.

    I have heard that it is helpful to always bring your pump when you travel. If baby gets sick, won't nurse, something strange/unexpected happens, then you aren't stuck standing over a bowl or kitchen sink manually expressing milk to make yourself comfortable.

    With all that being said, it is so much easier to travel when they are tiny like June. Very portable and just happy to be held and nursing. You will all do fine. Just take your time, don't rush, and be calm. It seems like you guys are like that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, another option is to pack up and ship everything you'll need there UPS Ground, to be waiting for you when you get there, and then ship it back return. That could include your clothes, as well as June's, anything else you'll need there. Of course, it costs to have it shipped, but the efficiency of having it there waiting for you, and not having to worry about bags, only June and your carry on, during travel... could be worth the cost and what I understand from customers, it is a reasonable cost for Ground. The UPS Store has boxes that function like suitcases, not that you need them. You might want to check into this and consider it. I didn't mean this to be a shameless plug for the stores, or UPS, but we have had customers who do this and swear by it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure she will be an angel :). Both my babies flew at 4 months and were great. They typically sleep the whole way because after going through security and all the airport adventure they are usually exhausted. I have never noticed any trouble with ears either. I usually always feed going up, but did not feed going down and had no trouble. I agree with a lot of Anna's suggestions. I just changed my babies on the seat. I never bring my carseat to the gate and haven't had any trouble. I just don't like to carry too much. (I guess I am lazy) haha. ANyways, sounds like you have things pretty well planned out. Just remember to back extras of things she might need, such as pacifier, etc. Have fun...and don't stress about the trip. Babies will be babies. Most people will just ohh and awee at June's cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules, I love all the wonderful advice you are getting. I like the idea of just packing some outfits for June because the grandmas will be happy to wash her cute little things! Remember, if you are staying at Grandma Mickie's house, she has an antique crib that you can use and it's in the same room as you are staying. When you were little, one time we had you stay in our empty suitcase. (It was a large one and we put a pad/baby blanket at the bottom. It worked out fine and you were in our room.) I'd probably bring some diapers but buy most of them when you arrive.

    One thing is for sure. . . you will have plenty of people that will want to hold and take care of June when you are there. Including me and your dad!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be taking care of having a sleeping place for June that will be portable so you can take with if you need it in Danville. However, it sounds like Grandma Mickie has that covered. You know I love to do Baby Laundry, and if you just let me know what brand/size diapers and wipes you want, they will be here waiting when you arrive. Please feel free to ask me to get anything else you may think you will need. Also, don't worry about the time change...we can always work in shifts as needed! Can't wait...
    Love, Grammy

    ReplyDelete