Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back to Work

In short: it was fine.

In length:

Dropping June off at the daycare was the hardest part, of course. Michael and I both went and carpooled to work so I would be free to bawl my eyes out the whole way. (I didn't quite bawl, more stared out the window in silent misery.) The head teacher in the infant room is understanding and kept saying how June will be fine, I will be fine, we all will be fine. I handed June to Michael because I couldn't be the one to hand her off for good.

Returning to work was...nice, actually. It was fun. It was an ego-boost to hear peoples' delighted exclamations of "You're back!" It was fun to get caught up in all the news around the office and in the lives of my coworkers. They even made me a gigantic card, bought me balloons and a few welcome back treats.
Remember the pumpkin face cake? Well...
And it was kind of nice to just focus on me, you know? Like to turn off my Mommy mode and concentrate on adult issues. Does this make me a terrible mom? I hope not. If anything, this little break allowed me to fawn all over my baby when I got home.

But it was hard, too. Absolutely. I was okay doing my job...and then I'd think about June. I'd wonder if she was crying and no one could settle her because no one knows her little tricks like I do. I'd wonder if she was being smiley and cute and I was sad I was missing her smiles. I'd wonder if somewhere in her mind she was wondering where I was. These are the times it was tough.

As the afternoon passed, the minutes were only creeping by.
But my husband, wonderful man that he is, sent me some flowers to help me get by. Aren't daisies such a friendly flower? (Kathleen Kelly would agree.)
Since we carpooled, poor Michael had to put up with my "suggestions" as we drove home. ("Couldn't you maybe drive a little bit faster?") At least we got to drive in the HOV lane! After sprinting into the daycare, we were rewarded with smiles from our baby girl who was waiting for us. She'd done fine on her first day.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, I have been waiting for this post. I am so glad everything went well! I know it will be a tough transition, but you are a GREAT mom and Michael a GREAT dad and husband...how absolutely sweet he sent you flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the love and support you have for each other, you and Michael and June will get through this transition. To avoid bawling, I would recommend NOT dwelling on the lyrics of that song: "It won't be like this for long..." Too true!
    Can't wait to hug each of you in less than a week! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear all went well on your first day back. You and Michael are such wonderful parents, I'm sure June knows how much you love her by how you greet her again with hugs and kisses after the work day.
    Michael is a sweetie to send you flowers at work! I can't wait to see all three of you in just a few days!
    P.S. Loved the Pumpkin Face sign!

    ReplyDelete