Tuesday, October 20, 2009

We're homeowners! (...sort of)

No, I shouldn't discredit our big day. It just didn't happen quite like I expected. Let me 'splain.

We met last night with the Escrow officer and our realtor (Paul) and did all the paperwork. As expected, there was a ton to sign. I was all excited and let out a little giggle at the first item we signed. Paul said, "That isn't it, Julie," meaning that it wasn't the exact document that made us homeowners. So this, coupled with my perhaps-overdramatized expectations, made me believe that there would be a document that was IT. The one thing we'd get to that, upon signing, would make us homeowners. Well, that didn't happen. We just went over a stack of paperwork, signing and initialling, then the Escrow officer made us a big copy of it and it was done.

The trouble was that it was all done by 5:30 last night. So our paperwork wouldn't be recorded or processed until today. Because of that, we weren't official homeowners until that was completed (even now haven't heard from Paul yet). So we were told that we weren't allowed to get the keys until today because we aren't legally the owners yet, and should anything happen to the house, there would be legality issues. Well, there goes my idea of having that big moment where they hand the keys over and we giggle excitedly and give each other a jumping high-five. And a smooch. Or a jumping smooch, hopefully without any physical injury.

Once we get out into the parking lot, I say to Michael that I was bummed we didn't get the keys. He says, "Oh yeah, I do have them." And pulls them out. Paul was so awesome and secretly gave Michael the key so he wouldn't have to make another trip out today to pick them up. And that's so very sweet of him to be so considerate...but it didn't really make for a climactic moment, you know?

I'm off to check with Paul about the home. If all goes as planned we'll be having some champagne tonight!

UPDATE at 5:30 pm: We have recorded on the house! It is ours! Pop the corks! Cut the cake! Do a jig! (Don't hurt yourself!) Give a Tarzan yell!

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry you did not get your "moment" at the signing, but I have a feeling that as soon as you are told it is yours.... You'll feel "it".

    CONGRATS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice from your mom: Having gone through buying a new home 8 times, I know what you mean. . . there is soooooooo much paperwork and not "one moment" during the signing. But, I think the "ah-ha moment" is when you open the door with your key and your hubby carries you across the threshold ;-) Make your own moment! Congratulation and break out the bubblely!

    ReplyDelete