Thursday, November 2, 2017

Team Ethiopia - Seattle Soccer!

We got June signed up for soccer this year and, as usual, got the email from the league begging more parents to sign up to be coaches. I told them I couldn't be a head coach but that I'd be an assistant. Well a week before the season started I found out that my head coach had moved out of town and I was suddenly the coach of team Ethiopia! Thankfully I had a parent step up as assistant coach to help out!


We had 8 girls on the team. It was a great group of mostly well-behaved kiddos. There was definitely pairs that got giggly and wrestle-y if they were given the chance! We had one practice a week and games on Saturday mornings. We really lucked out with the weather and have had a pretty mild Fall so far. Only one practice in the pouring rain, and a couple of games where it was drizzling. When the girls asked if I was canceling practice because of the rain, I had a thing or two to say about being tough, powerful women and how it was a Seattle rite of passage to play in the rain!


At the risk of bragging, I have to say that I was really proud of June. Each year she really improves with her skills and her confidence. She's such a strong dribbler and I loved watching her power through when she was challenged for the ball.


Last weekend we had our final World Cup tournament, which is really short round-robin games against the other 'countries.' So we played 12-minute games against Chile, Peru and Greece. :)


And we got to open the day with a parade of countries! One of the team moms really helped out by getting little flags for us to wave. 



June had a great time but she did tell me she wasn't a big fan of playing on the turf. She fell and said it hurt a lot more to fall on turf than grass. It really reminded me of my own years playing soccer on turf and all those turf burns.


After the World Cup, we had a team party where the girls got trophies (also courtesy of the team mom), cupcakes and we played a kids-vs-parents soccer game. It was really cute and fun and a lot of the kids/parents got really into it. I was just glad no over-zealous dad accidentally pegged a girl in the head!


As long as things don't get too crazy next year, I think I might sign up to coach again. What can I say, I'm getting used to it now!


No comments:

Post a Comment