We loved the Girl Scouts in Sacramento. My dear friend was the troop leader and June's best friends were in that troop. That was truly one of the things I was most sad about leaving - this group of girls that we had pictured would grow up together.
When we came to Seattle we looked for troops but none were open and accepting new members. We lucked into getting into this troop when it was forming and another girl dropped out. It's an interesting setup - half of the girls are kindergarteners, the other half are first graders. So they're together for part of the time, then break off into their grade levels for the other part. June has a bunch of friends in this troop, too, and is really happy to be there with her friends.
One thing I'm really interested in is that this troop is led by a dad who is interested in making sure the girls get some outdoorsy experience too. Most Daisy Scouts focus more on building character and don't focus as much on outdoorsy things. The Boy Scouts do, and this dad figured that if they can, we can too. So I'm looking forward to seeing how that progresses!
Our first big activity together was a backyard campout. In true Seattle style, it was cold and rainy and we ended up spending a little time in the garage playing games because of the weather.
We all slept in tents in the yard of one of the scouts. I'll be honest - it was....hard. Cold, wet, and on hard ground (even with mattress pads). June was overexcited to be doing something new, and especially to be sharing a tent with a friend, and was testing her limits, so her behavior wasn't the best.
But the campfire was nice, and the marshmallows. :) I was happy to spend time with some of the parents of the girls I hear so much about. And I'm glad June got this experience.




No comments:
Post a Comment