Sunday, December 18, 2016

Garden Volunteering

I didn't originally sign up to be the garden volunteer for June's class. But June's teacher is very good at asking for telling parents when they need to step up, and I'm highly susceptible to guilt trips. So when I saw the email that we didn't have a docent yet, and all the other classes had one, and if we didn't get one our kids wouldn't get to have that outdoor time, I signed up. And I do happen to love to garden, even if I'm a bit of a novice.

At first I had a co-volunteer. The class mom also came out with me. But she got a promotion at work so she had to stop coming out. That means that every Tuesday morning you'll find me taking time off work to take 12 kindergarters out into the yard to do ...something? (Then I take the other 12 kids out the next week) I'm given a topic I'm supposed to cover, but I don't find that this fills the time AT ALL considering how wiggly my kids get. (Sample topics: the parts of a plant, hybrid plants [??])

So I normally think of some other activity that's either creative or gets them moving around. So far it's gone pretty well! I've had a few really tough days and many good ones. I always leave the garden exhausted but satisfied. And telling June's teacher that we're moving and I'm abandoning my garden position was truly one of the hardest parts of the move so far.

Here are some of the activities we have done so far:

- Planting grass seeds in egg shells we decorated with faces, so the grass looks like hair

- Talking about our pet, the caterpillar (that they got to pet), the pupa and moth (they got to hold the pupa shell)

- Going on a leaf hunt for all the different types of leaves on campus

- Learning about garden tools and how to use them safely

-  Raking leaves 


- Feeding slugs from my garden to the chickens



- Making lemonade with lemons from my garden


No comments:

Post a Comment