Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Gingerbread House Decorating Party

We threw what I believe to be our first Christmas party ever this year! I decided I wanted to do a gingerbread house decorating party, picked a date and then invited a few families over for some good times.

I bought these adorable little gingerbread house kits from IKEA, of all places, but they are so cute, smell so wonderful and were only about $5 each! I went back and forth about whether I should make them in advance or let the kids/parents assemble them. In the end, I thought that the most fun part is decorating and we might not have a ton of time, so I put the kits together a few days in advance.


We ended up with 5 families in attendance, with a total of 8 kids ages 5 and under. It was certainly LOUD at times!



We ate macaroni and cheese, mozzarella stuffed meatballs and roasted broccoli. I forgot to break out the fruit salad, so Michael, the kids and I ate nothing but fruit salad for two days after that.

Then it was time to break out the houses and the decorations!


The kids were really into it. Some had a plan, some just experimented. They all tried to sneak as much candy as possible.




For dessert, I made this really nice Italian Layer Cake, which has one layer that is mostly sugar and ricotta cheese. I have to say, I thought it turned out really well and the leftovers tasted even better as the days went by!


When it was time to leave, the kids helped tidy up (or the parents helped tidy while the kids "cleaned" as a herd of chaos all around us). Then it was time for a group hug and wishing each other good night. 


Michael and I hurried to clean up so we could collapse guilt-free into the couch for some rest and relaxation. We had such a fun night and loved getting to spend some time with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment