Sunday, September 20, 2015

San Francisco: The Billy Joel Concert

On September 5th we finally made due on a birthday gift that Michael got for me back in 2014! Michael gave me a Billy Joel CD and the plan to take me to a Billy Joel concert, which has always been a dream of mine. At the time, he had grand plans to take me on an overnight trip to New York or Los Angeles or something. I sat there with wide eyes since Bennett had just been born and that seemed as likely and as doable as a trip to the moon, to be honest. 

Life happened and the concert never made a life-appearance that year, but Michael did make arrangements for us to finally see Billy in San Francisco just a couple of weeks ago! This worked out well because it gave me a lot of time to listen to my awesome Best-Of CD and now June has her own list of favorites. I will never stop being amused at the ones she asks for. ("Only the Good Die Young" (don't judge me), "She's Got a Way," "Piano Man" (of course), "New York State of Mind" (bizarre!) and "Uptown Girl.")

Anyway, so we asked my mother "in-love" if she might consider scheduling a visit around that weekend and she kindly obliged. Fred ended up coming also, so it was a great visit! And we were so grateful because this meant that we could stay the night in San Francisco instead of attempting to drive back to Sacramento afterwards (as we might have done if we just had a babysitter for the night).

It was so weird to be in San Francisco without kids! We hardly knew what to do with ourselves. We ate baked oysters and oyster po'boys down by the water, then headed to the Golden Gate Park and went to the Japanese Tea Garden. 




 


After grabbing some coffee, we headed back to our hotel to get ready for the night. 



We ate at a cool Indian food restaurant (if I could put one of those heart-eyed emojis here, I would) and then walked down to AT&T Park for the show!


We walked around for a little, checking out the view of the bay and the folks on boats who showed up to listen. Michael stood in line for drinks and I stood in line for ice cream and we made it down to our seats on the infield just in time to chill for a few moments before Billy Joel came out!


This was the stadium lit up with peoples' flashlights on their phones... pretty, isn't it? So funny that it used to be lighters and now it's evolved to this...





The show was so great. We stood up, we danced, we watched awkwardly as the big guy we thought of as the friendliest older gent ever almost got into a fight with the guy in front of him. I might have been the only one in the stadium who got SO AMPED when Billy announced that he was about to play "Downeaster 'Alexa'," which is my jam. I think I physically shook Michael's person while hissing "YASS YAAAASSSS."

Something about Billy just really reminded me of my Dad. Maybe it was these cool video shots of his big hands playing the keys, maybe it was some of his dry jokes or this sort of endearing relaxed, what-you-see-is-what-you-get attitude he had about him. But it made it especially enjoyable for me.

And I really had a moment when he started playing "Piano Man." Obviously.

Michael and I were so wild-n-crazy that we stayed up and had another drink after the concert!

Unfortunately the weekend ended on a low note - our car was broken into. When we got back to our car in the garage, the window had been bashed in and there were pieces of glass everywhere. It was so jarring and disheartening. We had taken everything of use out of the car, but apparently they took a case of Michael's old CDs and his backup pair of glasses he kept in his glove compartment. Which, a few things:

1. There's still a demand for black market CDs out there?! Why would someone still steal CDs?
2. It's just sort of sad because some of the mix CDs we made each other while we were dating were in there. Like I told Michael, our love isn't in things, but it is still sort of sad. And I hate picturing some jerks looking through his CDs and just tossing them in the trash.
3. What Michael said about the glasses: "Well the joke's on them because I was due for a new pair of glasses, anyway!" I love him.

Driving home on the freeway with all of the windows down wasn't quite the way we had planned, but we make plans and God laughs, I guess.

Truly, though, the weekend was really wonderful and I was so happy to have an overnight trip away to connect and have fun and finally fulfill that birthday promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment