Friday, February 27, 2015

Happy Birthday, Bennett!

I can't believe it's already been a year. 

One year.

As I sit here typing out this blog post, I remember that a year ago last night I was having to pause throughout dinner to prepare for contractions. Last night at dinner I had to keep cutting up little pieces of oven-fried chicken because Bennett was simply shoveling it in his mouth. A year ago last night I walked into the bedroom to lay down with a Hypnobabies track, questioning whether that night was the night. Last night I had a little boy walking around the house after me, following me into the bathroom for shower time, which he loves and dances about when we sing "Shower time, shower time, show-show-shower time!"



Looking back, I remember such sweet moments surrounding his birth. Michael being so perfectly present and supportive, the nurses cheering when the midwife pronounced me 6 centimeters dilated upon arrival at the hospital, the utter relief when I heard Bennett's first cry, the joy when he nursed so naturally, how ravenously I ate the little breakfast tray.

The mommy amnesia helps. It helps me forget how dramatic Bennett's entrance was into this world (even if the drama only lasted several moments), or how exhausting, frantic, hormonal and unpredictable those first few months were. (Reading back through this blog, including Bennett's Birth Story, is a good reminder.)






It's so strange to remember the time before B was a part of our family. He's so ingrained in it now. So much a part of our hearts. Just today June's teacher sweetly told me just how proud June is of her little brother, and how she talks about him so much and how she lights up when she does. She adores him, and he absolutely loves her too.




And now he's a year old already.



There are more posts to come with his monthly pictures and some birthday celebrations. But for now, I just want to say how loved this little boy is, and how grateful we are for all the joy this past year has brought us.




2 comments:

  1. I love you, Julie the Jules; I love your family; I love your blogs and photos; thank you so very much for letting us be a part of your family even though we are far away. Now, pardon me while I go find a tissue to wipe away the tears of joy :)

    Love Always, AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post brings back so many wonderful memories of Bennett's birth. I'm so glad I was able to be with you in Sacramento to help out with June one year ago! I remember how gentle June was with Bennett and how proud she was/is to be a big sister. I love you and your family so much. Just like your dad, I'm teary eyed remembering these precious times.
    All my love,
    AMom

    ReplyDelete