Friday, February 20, 2015

Amber Teething Necklaces and Bruce Willis

Bennett's having a bear of a time with teething. 

He's always trying to bite everything. His clothes, my clothes...my hands. Apparently he bit a friend at school doing the same thing that he does to me...grabbing his friend's hand and stuffing it into his own mouth as a chew toy.

And then another day, he cried so hard for so long at daycare that they called and asked me to pick him up. I managed to get a late emergency appointment at the doctor's (suspecting an ear infection) but there was no obvious problem. The only thing she found was his teeth, two of which were just barely under the surface of the gums.

That night I went out and bought an amber teething necklace. 


The whole thing is very woo.

Amber teething necklaces are something I've read about a lot of women supporting. I've also read a few theories of why amber (fossilized tree resin) would work, ranging from the 'out there' (it works on magnetism, internal balance, etc) to the scientific (when against the warmth of the baby's skin, it releases a pain-fighting substance called succinic acid). Apparently the lighter the amber, the more of the substance it has, and it needs to be directly against the skin to work.


Anyway, I felt terrible for my boy being in pain and I was pretty desperate, unable to continue with him at home with me. So I was willing to try anything.


I have to say, I'm really charmed by how cute it is on him. 

He wears it under his clothes when he's awake. When he's dressed, you hardly see it (and he doesn't pull on it, thankfully). And we move it to be around his ankle under his pajamas when he's sleeping. 




And for some reason, I feel Bennett was really channelling Bruce Willis à la Die Hard in this picture. Something about the muscle tee and cargo pants and necklace. And action pose.


Not a perfect likeness, but there's definitely something there.

Anyway, it's hard to say if it's working or not. He has stopped being unusually fussy at school. He's going down for naps much easier at school, which was a struggle for a while. At the same time, it could be anything, or just the end of a bad phase of teething.

I'm keeping the necklace on. I just like it at this point. I might not be able to definitively say that it's working on him, but at least it's not hurting him. 

2 comments:

  1. We swore by ours with A. Who knows if iy was working or just coincedence but whenever she wore it she was much more content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good look on him....whether or not it works, who knows? Reminds me of the puka bead necklace I used to wear in the early 70's....must have worked somehow because it attracted your mother to me :)

    AD....

    ReplyDelete