Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Knowing it's coming doesn't make it any easier.

Considering that June had an estimated three thousand ear infections her first year of life, Michael and I were waiting and waiting for Bennett to get his first one. We count ourselves so lucky that it took this long for it to come, but when it came it was like the Kool-Aid Man kicking through the wall. The poor guy got a bad ear infection (I think the other one was infected too) and got RSV (respiratory virus) AND had two teeth cutting through all at the same time.

The weekend before last was a tough one, with a baby who was in pain, not really eating, not really sleeping and was just generally irritable. (I couldn't blame him.) (I also couldn't envision a time when my baby wasn't making near-constant whining/moaning sounds, so shot were my nerves. Seriously, every moment he was awake he was moaning.)

We were told to give Bennett breathing treatments after the first trip into the doctor. Bennett did not go for the old trick that worked for June (turning the TV on) and instead screamed for the duration of the breathing treatments.

Not that there is ever a good time to get sick, but the timing was particularly sad for me. Michael and I had been planning on having a daytime date on MLK day since we both had off work but daycare was open. But we make plans and God laughs, so the Bennyman was home with us that day instead. He was housebound (except for a followup doctor's appointment), so our day was spent taking turns on who left the house to do very practical tasks and was not at all romantic or whimsical.

Oh, except for when I escaped to get a slice of chocolate cake at a nearby restaurant because I just could not with the moaning. Although I'd say it was less 'whimsical' and more 'self-preservational.'

But we got through it with a combination of antibiotics, infant pain relievers and near-constant daydreaming of our far-off vacation to Hawaii. And cake. Can't forget about the cake.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to read this post!! Hope Bennett is feeling 100% now! President's day date maybe?

    ReplyDelete