Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Nutcracker

June and I went on a Mommy-Daughter date to see the Nutcracker on Sunday!


We got all dressed up and first went out to dinner downtown.


I was slightly nervous since she is still a three year-old, and I didn't know if her attention span would last for the whole performance. We got pretty good seats, which I thought would help keep her interested since she had a better view.

We also walked around the lobby before the show. We bought an ornament souvenir, checked out the decor and even saw Santa!


It went really well. June sat on my lap for a scene or two since she said she couldn't see very well from her seat. I had warned her that there was a mouse king who might be a 'bad guy,' but when the actors-dressed-as-mice came out, they didn't fit what she had pictured as a "mouse king" so she didn't agree that they were the ones I had mentioned. 



She did get a little antsy toward the end of act II. I didn't blame her and I wasn't the least bit surprised. The Nutcracker is really wonderful, but it doesn't have any words and following the story does take some attention. But she loved the costumes, loved the Snow Queen and the Sugar Plum Fairy and the 'flower' ballerinas. 

There were lots of kids in the audience (and actually a ton of kids on stage, too), so it felt very family-friendly. June did a great job of not talking during the play and only whispered a few questions whenever she felt someone had been wronged on stage. 

Afterward we stopped for dessert on the way home.


By the time we got home, Bennett was asleep. Michael and June carefully put our new ornament on our Christmas tree.



Then, as Michael and I sat and talked about how the night went, June worked off her sugar high by dancing around the room pretending to be the Sugar Plum Fairy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment