Saturday, November 15, 2014

Advent Activity List

I think I've written before about how sometimes it sneaks up on me that I'm a grownup with my own family now. This feeling is particularly strong around the holidays when I realize that it's up to me to make traditions that could stay with our family for a long time. (And which traditions to keep from our own families, of course. I think June's going to get her first annual scavenger hunt for the 'big gift' this year.)

Of course I've heard of advent calendars before, usually the ones with little chocolates to eat each day. The other day I read a short list of activities that people were suggesting for an advent activity calendar and I loved the idea of stretching out the season all month by having a special something to do with the kids each day. So I took that list and added my own, cut out some ones that didn't fit for us and came up with my tentative list of advent activities for this December.

I know I'm a little early posting about Christmas already, and I don't want you to think I've forgotten about Thanksgiving! (I'm also hoping to do some activities leading up to The Day of the Bird.) But since I already made this list (early, so I could gather supplies and be ready for December 1), I figured there is a small chance someone else out there might be doing something similar and wouldn't mind sharing ideas.

The list isn't 100% finalized. I might swap out a craft if I see something cool on Pinterest. And I'll have to look into volunteering and see if there are any jobs appropriate that June and I could do. I'll also have to rearrange the list a little to make sure the more time-consuming items fall on weekends.

We'll see how it goes! And if you have any other ideas, please share them in a comment!


Activity Craft Sweets Activity Service
Decorate the Christmas tree

X
Roast marshmallows on the fire, drink hot cocoa
X

Watch a Christmas movie

X
Make Christmas Cookies
X X
Donate clothes or toys to children’s charity


X
Make ornaments X


New Christmas books

X
Go on a nighttime walk to see Christmas lights

X
Go ice skating

X
Look at lights in the Fab 40's

X
Get picture taken with Santa

X
Salvation Army Angel Tree Angel


X
Volunteer at food bank (or other?)


X
Buy and donate treats/toys to an animal shelter


X
Hand print reindeer (painting) X


Make peanut butter pinecone feeders for birds/squirrels X


Decorate gingerbread house
X X
Make a list of favorite Christmas memories

X
Eat 'reindeer poop' for breakfast (donut holes)
X

Write letters to Santa

X
Christmas Music Dance Party in Pajamas

X
Carriage Ride in Old Sacramento

X
Candlelight bubble bath with Christmas Music

X
Polar Express Day (Book, movie, hot chocolate)

X
Sleep under the tree

X


Maybe if all goes well, I can post weekly Advent Activity Roundups where I post pictures from our activities that week!

1 comment:

  1. Not enough sweets.....more chocolate makes for a merrier Advent! And, what about the line item that says, "Make, then consume, Holiday Egg Nog or Hot Toddy (your choice or both"!!)

    Of course, it is great that you didn't try to incorporate the protocol of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and repeat every activity every day leading to Xmas!

    Have fun, be good, and perhaps Santa will bring you more than a lump of coal and some switches!! :)

    AD

    ReplyDelete