Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sleep Regression

Right after Bennett turned 3 months, he rolled over for the first time! We knew he was so close and we were watching him, and one Saturday we saw as his huge head fell to the side while he was on his belly and momentum took the rest of his body over until he was laying on his back. He actually hasn't rolled this way again yet!

But the very next day, a Sunday, Bennett rolled from his back to his belly. 

And he's been a rolling machine ever since. We can't set him down without returning to find him on his stomach. This normally isn't a problem, but he eventually gets frustrated being on his stomach (especially since he can't seem to figure out how to roll back again).

Because he's rolling now, we've had to stop swaddling him.

And I don't know if it's the lack of swaddling, I don't know if it's a growth spurt or the '4 month sleep regression' or something else, but the boy hasn't been sleeping. We really took a step back. There was a period of time when he'd sleep from about 8 PM to about 3 AM, even 4 AM a few times. 

No more. 

We put him to sleep at 8 PM and he's up at midnight. Then he's up at 1, then 3, sometimes 4, then 5:30. Sometimes I ask Michael to go try to get him back to sleep. Sometimes I just get up and feed him. It's tough because I don't want Bennett to get in the habit of eating so much through the night, but I also want to respond to him if he's telling me he needs something. It's also the easiest way to make sure he goes back to sleep. Michael can often eventually get him down, but those times Bennett will often wake up within an hour.

I'm just so tired, you know? I'm back at work full time now. I'm officially a multiple-cup-a-day coffee drinker. 

Whenever I'm laying in bed and I hear sounds come through the monitor, I get this groggy, panicked anxiety that he's waking up. Going so long without 3 straight hours of sleep is really starting to get to me. 

I took him to the doctor to make sure it wasn't an ear infection. (June was such a great sleeper that whenever she stopped sleeping through the night, we knew it was an ear infection.) I was happy that he didn't have an ear infection, but also sad that there was just no reason my baby doesn't sleep. 

I don't know what to do, except to just keep going, as we parents do. I will listen to my own advice, and try to remember that this is just a phase and it too will be over some day. I'll try to go to bed earlier (even if means less me-time/us-time at the end of the day.)

And I'll hope that he goes back to sleeping a little more. Soon. Dear God, please, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment