Monday, June 23, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

*This was originally written the day after Mother's Day and apparently I forgot to publish it!*


Mother's Day is over and I'm totally bummed. It's just that...I want all days to be like it?

Michael is just so sweet and wanted my day to be so restful and nice. June asked to go outside with me when I was watering the plants and Michael tried desperately (and unsuccessfully) to distract her since he knows how much I love to just sit in peace and stare at my little garden. And whenever Bennett would start to fuss, Michael would say "Should I take him? Can I take him?" 

I got to sleep in, which in this house meant that I brought Bennett into bed with us when he woke at 6:30, nursed and went back to sleep until 7:30. Michael got up with June (who also has been up and at 'em at 6:30 these days) and started making breakfast!


One of the duties June has happily undertaken is filling water cups from the dispenser. Sure, we end up with some splashes and puddles, but it keeps her occupied during those last moments before a meal and we all stay hydrated in the process.


I just sat back and watched the final steps with my boy in my lap and some coffee in my hand!


French toast, eggs and bacon!


I decided that I wanted to go to a strawberry festival in Roseville, a suburb of Sacramento. When we drove up there was a gigantic line made up entirely of young teen girls. I wondered aloud what they were all doing, and Michael wondered aloud why they all weren't with their moms. Turns out there was  a big concert being held that evening and the girls were all lined up to get good spots.


We had strawberry shortcake, beignets with strawberries and some other more savory foods. We laid out a blanket and sat in the shade and listed to some live music.


There were some small-scale carnival-esque rides and bounce houses. June tried one out and loved it - she's come a long way from being terrified of a blow up slide last fall!



We finished off with some dancing to the music - June on the dance floor and me and Bennett with the Moby wrap. At one point the lead singer said, "And I see some soon-to-be-mothers out there! Is this your first sort-of Mother's Day?" while looking in my direction. I turned to see who she was referring to and she said "Oh! Your baby is already here! He's just tucked up in there, isn't he?!" Since she was speaking over the microphone, the whole crowd of people looked and laughed. I pulled Bennett's head out and waved.


We ended the day on a positive note, helping a young family whose car had gotten boxed in seemingly by one of those teen girls. (The bedazzled license plate cover gave it away.)

That evening we had a visit from one of Michael's business school friends (in town from London - what are the chances?), which was really fun. It was so nice to catch up with Yanni and he was so sweet, especially with June who took to him like white on rice and asked him to read her books over and over.

I felt very spoiled this Mother's Day...my first one with two kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment