Monday, June 30, 2014

Here Comes the Sun(flowers)

My sunflowers bloomed while I was in Phoenix and they have since gotten very, very big.

None of the pictures I took had anything to portray their scale, so I thought the best thing would be to hold my baby against them to give you an idea of size. 


Some of the sunflowers had started to lose their petals at this point, so they aren't quite as brilliant as they once were, but I just can't get over how interesting they are. With their huge heads, so heavy that the whole plant bows over. 


I'm fascinated by the middle of their heads, all those tiny little pods, under which the sunflower seeds are! Can't wait to harvest and roast them!

The bees are nuts for these things, but even cooler are the small praying mantises (manti?) that take them over.


Of course June also wanted to be held up near the sunflowers for a picture, but me doing an overhead press with her body weight just wasn't going to happen. So...


If you're wondering if June's daily uniform is princess dress + crocs, the answer is YES.


2 comments:

  1. Wish I could get away with wearing a princess dress and crocs.....TMI.....AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. These flowers are AMAZING! You've got quite the green thumb! I also wish I could get away with wearing a princess dress daily :)

    ReplyDelete