Monday, June 16, 2014

AZ Visit

My work made it known pretty early that they'd like to have me back to Phoenix for a visit after my maternity leave. I also had a new boss that I wanted to meet, so the plan was set in motion. I didn't feel comfortable leaving Bennett and my mom was so sweet to offer to come out to Arizona to watch him.

So Ben and I packed up our things and headed out on his first trip!



Besides the first few minutes, things went smoothly enough. The first few minutes were tough because it was before I was able to check my bags. I had Bennett on my front, a heavy backpack on my back (with the laptop in it), a huge roll-y bag in one hand and the car seat bag in the other. 

(This is actually me on the way home.)

My flight was delayed about an hour and a half, which was a little annoying. I was glad that Bennett was so happy and peaceful during the wait, but I also had a sense of using up the 'good' before we even got on board. 

He did fuss a little, especially right in the beginning when I was trying desperately to keep him quiet. Things were much easier once I realize he just wanted to be awake and would I please stop trying to make him sleep?

We got in on Saturday, which gave us a whole day to hang out with Mom before I had to work. We hung around the house, I showed her Bennett's routines, we went to the mall and then we ate at Oregano's. 





I think the first day was an adjustment period for Bennett. He had to get used to his surroundings, so he hardly napped the whole time. My mom was extremely positive about it all (God bless her) but I'm sure he was pretty difficult at some points.

The good news is that he was much better the next day, and continued to be easier and easier as the week went on. By the end of the week, they were best buddies and Bennett was smiling whenever he saw his Vivi's face.



Work was stressful for me. Getting back into the swing of things, having new responsibilities, back-to-back meetings. But I was also so glad to be physically there with my colleagues, and especially glad to have my mom to catch up with when the day was done. Mom had dinner waiting each night when I got home and after B would go to bed, we'd have wine or ice cream or both. 

By the end of the week we'd all gotten used to the new schedule and were sad to be giving it up. I was glad to get back to Michael and June, and Mom's off to adventure through the summer, but I'll also miss those days together!



No comments:

Post a Comment