Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Sweet Moments of Parenting Two

I know you'll believe me when I say that parenting two kids is hard sometimes. There are times when I feel absolute guilt because I can't pay attention to June as much as I used to, or have to tell her not to do something simply because Bennett is sleeping or nearby. One of the nights when Michael had to work was a disaster due to me attempting to rush June's bedtime routine when Bennett was obviously overdue for a feeding. Even when Michael is around and we can split up, things can be very difficult.

But there are also moments that are so wonderful and sweet. Moments when the muscles in my shoulders relax and I can take a deep breath and say, "Yes, this is it. This is the Best Case Scenario I imagined when I pictured these first few months."

Times like the other night, when Michael and June were playing soccer in the front yard. Bennett and I hung out on the adirondack chairs on the front porch. The weather was so nice and mild and everything felt perfect.




And times like the other night when Bennett and I walked to pick June up at school. Her school was having a cute little activity - releasing ladybugs into the rose garden - and I went early to watch and pick her up from school. I got to see my little Junebug with her friends in her learning environment, and Bennett was tucked away sleeping happily in the Moby.

You might not be able to see her here...she's the one in the exact center of the picture, in the middle of the scrum of kids trying to get a hold of one of the ladybugs.


Afterward they had an ice cream social, which meant June was psyched out of her mind.


We stopped at the park on the walk home and June got to play while B and I got to relax in the shade. When he woke up, he hung out awake and happy for a while before needing to be fed. It was a moment where I had the rush of thinking, "I'm doing it! I'm parenting two kids...by myself! And not one of us is crying!"

No comments:

Post a Comment