Tuesday, April 8, 2014

DIY Tie Dye Cupakes!

I asked June what she wanted her birthday party to look like (because I'm not sure if she knows what "theme" or "motif" is yet), she just said "purple, pink and blue."

As you might recall, my stance on cupcakes is to spend more time on the baking/recipe OR on decorating...not both. I went with decorating this time, but fancified the cake instead of the icing for a change. 

I started out with a box of white cake mix, then separated the batter out into three containers.


I used food coloring to make purple, blue and pink batter. I used plain old blue food coloring for blue, but for the purple and pink I bought special ready-made color gel that I bought at Hobby Lobby for about a dollar each. This was out of a combination of laziness and mistrust in my own ability to mix good enough colors. 


Each of those colors got poured into a plastic sandwich bag. I snipped a corner of each and, alternating colors, squirted some of each bag into each of the cupcake papers. When I was done, I took a knife and swirled them a little to really get the tie dye look.


FYI - I used a cool cupcake tip I found on pinterest. Normal cupcake cooking instructions are to fill the cups 2/3 full and bake at 350 for about 22 minutes. The tip is to fill the cups 3/4 full and, once the cupcakes are in the oven, lower the temp to 325 and bake for 25 minutes. This causes the cupcake to rise up more and look like a more full cupcake (rather than the sad little flat ones that you normally get out of boxed mixes). 

This tip worked out really well for the ones that I was able to fill 3/4 full. Once I realized I was running low on batter and wouldn't have enough cupcakes for the party, I started filling them lower, so I did end up with some flat ones. 

Check out how cool they looked when they were done!


A little twirl of store-bought icing and some purple sugar sprinkles and, voila, done!


Of course, the kids barely noticed that they were cool colors. They were just, "ZOINKS ICING NOM NOM NOM"


My only tip for others would be to buy more than one box of cake mix if you really want/need the full 24 'cakes for your occasion. (Of course I can never seem to get a full 24 cupcakes out of these box mixes, so maybe I've just always filled mine up too much?)

No comments:

Post a Comment