Monday, January 13, 2014

Nursery Beginnings

Even though we've technically been in this house since Thanksgiving, so much of that time has been holidays and the go-go-go of the season. (Hell - I was out of town for three weeks straight.) And now that I'm back for good, I started getting the shakes whenever I looked into the nursery and saw this:


Yeah... not exactly baby-ready. Not  exactly good for the nesting instincts.

So this weekend we kicked the nursery prep to the top of the To Do List and made some progress.

For Baby Boy's nursery, I did some thinking and looking (and Pinteresting) to shop for ideas. I knew that we wouldn't be able to paint the nursery (we're renting the house) and we couldn't hang tons of stuff on the walls (they're plaster and we've been asked not to punch a lot of holes), so that caused some limitations.

When I saw this mood board for a log cabin/outdoorsy/mountaineer nursery, I felt like it was the one. I showed it to Michael and he gave me the go-ahead.


This weekend Michael cleaned out the miscellaneous toys and other stuff that has accumulated in the baby's room. I used June's nap times to work on two little projects that I've had my eye on.

First, I saw this little print for sale from this Etsy site during my search. 


I thought it was adorable, but I felt a little weird about paying $21 plush shipping and handling for a piece of paper...one which I'd still need to get a frame for. So after realizing I already had black and yellow paint and some small paint brushes, I bought an 8x10 canvas at Hobby Lobby for $8.


I free-handed the bear outline and then filled 'er in.


And the finished product!


It's definitely not perfect, but it's the little imperfections that  show that it's homemade with love, right?

That night I measured and cut out the fabric for a little pillow I wanted to make. In the mood board above, I loved the bear pillow and loved the idea of having something like it for our rocking chair. But the more I Google Image searched, the more I was inspired by all kinds of bear pillows. 

So I used a piece of June's coloring book paper and traced a bear off of the internet straight from the laptop screen. Then used that to trace out a brown fabric bear. The next day, I pulled out the sewing machine and got to work on this guy:


For the back, I used some flannel and worked in a hemmed slit so the pillow case can be washed.



So who cares if we don't have a crib sheet or changing pad cover?! We have a pillow and some small-scale art! ;) I think the baby'll love it no matter what.

Can't wait to see this room come together!

1 comment: