Sunday, April 7, 2013

Yard Befores and Afters

Here they are, here they are! The plants do look a little small since they still need to grow into their surroundings, but I am so excited about how it came together and how I think it'll look in the future. So without further ado, I present the before and after pictures of our yard!

Back yard...

Before:

After:

We have two ground cover shrubs called Hearts and Flowers, and one Yellow Bells shrub we plan on growing onto a trellis like a vine. In the far corner we have our new Meyer Lemon tree. (This replacement probably seems the most unusual...taking out a full-size orange tree and replacing with a baby lemon. So a quick explanation - the oranges were duds, they remained small and hard no matter how long we left them on the tree. We'd use lemons much more often and hope to one day invite you all over for some homemade lemon bars and lemonade!)

And though I don't have a before picture of it, this is off to the right of the above pictures, up against the house:

That's salvia clevelandii, or Cleveland Sage. It smells wonderful and produces beautiful purple flowers. And I'm currently locked in a battle of wits for their safety against a swarm of aphids (bugs).

Before:

After:
Here you can see our new grill (though it's covered) that was our reward for all of the work we did!

Front Yard...

Before:

After:

Up front we have a little low-laying shrub called dwarf pittosporum. In the back we have three green cloud sage plants that should produce some nice purple flowers and grow large enough to give those windows a little cover.

Before:

After:

What a big difference! To the left we have a rosemary shrub that is fragrant and edible and can be left to grow wild (with light blue flowers) or be trimmed and shaped. To the right we have another pittosporum and some yellow daisies. The tree is a Chinese Elm. The tree was the one thing we had the hardest time picking out, wanting something without thorns, that stayed evergreen, with low litter, that was the right size... We finally settled on the elm, even though it will lose its leaves for a while in the winter, and so far we love it. 

A detail shot:

Before:

After:

This side is my pride and joy. Mostly because the riverbed was my idea and I sort of had to convince Michael to let me attempt it. And then, even after he had NOT given me the go-ahead, I just sort of started digging it anyway, and said "Is it okay that I'm doing this?" when he came around, and then he said, "What does it matter, you're doing it."? So I felt the pressure to make sure it turned out right, and I now it's maybe my favorite part of the yard.

If you can't see, there are also two new mounds to the right and left of the riverbed (and a third little one toward the back).

The little shrub to the left (on the mound) is trailing rosemary, which we plan to let take over the whole mound so it's eventually a big mound of green and light blue flowers. On the right/back mound are more daisies and Hearts and Flowers, which will also sort of trail down the mound. (Mound. Moundmoundmoud. I keep typing the word mound.)



Another after piece: our new path back to the side yard. I'm most excited about this from a practicality standpoint... no more trying to pull our garbage cans over rock and dirt! No more getting work shoes dusty every time I take the garbage back in! Michael did this whole thing, from leveling the ground to lining the pavers up and laying them.

Thanks for taking the tour! Come on over and hang out on our new grass!

Mound!

3 comments:

  1. Which end of the back lawn is the putting green?

    ReplyDelete
  2. loooove the ric rac!! (I'm positive I spelled that wrong)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (or that I called it the wrong thing)

    ReplyDelete