Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Work in Yardwork

I'm so relieved/glad/excited to announce that our yard is done! And also confused...what do I do with myself now that I can just be at night instead of working out in the yard?

These past few weeks have been so labor-intensive, so grueling, and so long that - though I plan on posting our before and after photos soon - I wanted to post several pictures from the "during" phase.

In the past few weeks we...

...Spent almost every free moment on the weekends out in the yard...


...Made countless trips to Home Depot, sometimes twice in one day...


...Made four trips to plant nurseries...


...Dug up our yard, including building mounds and digging trenches...


...Dug up the entire old irrigation system and put in a new one...


...Bought, hung and used temporary flood lamps to work at night...


...Speaking of working at night, most nights after June went to bed, we toiled away with our flood lights and head lamp until 10:00 or 10:30 at night...

...Made a trip to pick out rock...


...Brought 16 shrubs home...


...And planted them...


...Laid hundreds of square feet of landscaping fabric (see background below)...

...Had 16 tons of rock delivered (this picture is only 8)...


...And 2 tons of riprap...


...And all the research. Which plants go where, which plants need what amount of water and sun? How to plant shrubs the best, how to install irrigation successfully? Which plants don't have thorns but do have flowers? How to arrange irrigation tips so all drippers go for two hours each?

We've had so much help. My mom watched June several times (at the nursery, at home, not to mention the times that she came over to help while I was sick!). Both my parents came over to help lay fabric and watch June. We pretty much owe our neighbor Dave our next child, but I don't think he'll claim it. He not only helped us in the planning a prepping phases but came over and helped us lay rock. If that isn't a friend, I don't know what is.

Thanks to our neighbors for putting up with our half-finished yard for weeks (months?) and piles of rock in the street. And all the noise we make, and the fact that I accidentally blind you with my headlamp every time you walk past at night.

As I type, Michael is assembling a new grill for the patio. It was our reward we decided to give ourselves if we met our goal of Easter weekend. The work is not all done...now we need to keep these plants alive (God willing!) and really hone our green thumbs.

But we've already started loving our yard. Four times already we've spread out a blanket on the grass (or no blanket at all) and read books, or rolled around, or just laid there while June holds up a finger and says "Be right back!" and waddles off into the house to bring us another treasure.

It's been a lot of work, but I think it's been worth it. And I'm so glad the hardest part is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment