Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Moments Not on Camera


June is hyper aware of cameras and phones these days. You can’t take out either without her dropping whatever she’s doing and running toward you saying, “Pictures? Pictures Junie?” She wants to look at pictures and, more specifically, videos of herself. Obviously a narcissist. Because of this, I don’t have as many pictures of some precious moments because I don’t want to ruin the moment with her distraction. So since I won’t have recorded memories of these things, allow me to describe.

Right before bedtime, when the lights are off and June’s all drowsy and pajama’d, we have a family hug. And most of the time, June will reach her hands back behind us, one behind Michael’s head and one behind mine, and push our heads together so we kiss. June makes me and Michael kiss. It’s…the strangest, cutest, funniest little thing I’ve ever seen. After we kiss, we both turn to her and give her tons of tiny kisses on her cheeks and she giggles.

Every once in a while, when someone says the words “big girl” or “baby,” June will insist on telling people she’s a baby. “No big girl, I baby.” If you ask her if she’s a big girl or a baby, she’ll say “I baby” every time. Sometimes I try to coach her. “Don’t you want to be a big girl? Isn’t it more fun to do big girl things?” “No. No big girl. I baby.” It cracks everyone up when they hear her say it. I have no idea where she’s getting this from. Does she sense that babies get lots of love and attention? Is there a book they read at school about how great it is to be a baby? Is she remembering how I sometimes cradle her and sing, “You’re my little baby, you’re my little baby”?

The other morning before work, I was headed out the door and asked June for a kiss. I squatted down in front of her and she leaned in and kissed me on the lips. She then leaned in and kissed me on the nose. Then she placed her sticky little hands on either side of my face and turned my head to the side so she could kiss one, and then the other, cheek. The she kissed each of my eyes. And then my eyebrows. All of her own volition. Since then, I've gone through the gauntlet of pointing to different places on my face and having her kiss them, but I never want to forget that first day when she did it all on her own. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, It's official, my granddaughter is the cutest, sweetest, funniest, most clever baby/big girl ever!!! Of course her mom and dad are pretty special too!

    ReplyDelete