Saturday, November 10, 2012

Dresser Re-Do

I am so very glad to finally be able to post about a project I've been working on and have hinted about several times on the blog. I refinished a piece of furniture and it took me about 5 times longer than it would take any normal person. 

It started off as a little black dresser that I found on Craigslist. 



I knew I wanted to make a media console to replace our simple little TV stand that was the most boring, utilitarian little thing in the world.

(Sorry for the weird photo. The only good picture I could find of the TV stand was a still from a video.)

I wanted little doors (check!), storage space (check!) and color. Big color.

The problem was that I just couldn't devote large blocks of time to it. I'd head out to Home Depot during June's nap and I'd try to squeeze in some time after her bedtime but before it became so late that it was rude to use the very loud power sander in our quiet neighborhood. 

(I'd like to give a shout-out to my Aunt Lorie and Uncle Dan, who bought Michael a head lamp for Christmas last year. This thing saved my life in our non-well-lit garage and front yard during our nights - gets dark around 6 pm here!)



I had two super fulfilling parts of the project. One was turning a drawer into a cubby to be used for the cable box and DVD player. This included sawing off a piece of wood (seen below) and installing a shelf. 

Before: a wooden drawer runner:

 After: an open shelf (also shows the dresser after sanding and taping):


Here's a close-up of the shelf with a bonus of my other uber-rewarding job - boring a hole for my power cords to go through! Had to buy a new drill bit and everything!


(I danced around the kitchen from the adrenaline of boring the hole. Boring. Boring. Must use that word in context as often as possible.)

The sanded, dissembled furniture sat out in our garage forever while I tried to get a coat or two in between sickness and job drama and family visits and holidays.

My grand reveal might be a little anti-climactic considering that I didn't do any fancy styling of the room. But nonetheless, I present...Beatrice!


Beatrice the media console, former dresser. I like her and she is yellow. I'm trying my hardest to see past her many imperfections and just appreciate the pop of color she brings the room.


Our eventual hope is to have the TV mounted on the wall so I can decorate the top of Beatrice with knick knacks or holiday decor. Maybe even removing the book cases and going crazy with decorating the free space.

I don't have a picture, but the cubby is painted with a metallic dark brown shade, and so are the cabinets. There are also little shelves in the cabinets for additional storage space.


I bought new hardware. Basic knobs to tie the brown cubby in with the piece, but I wanted something funky for the cabinets. So I got owls.




I'll conclude with close-up BEFORE and AFTER shots.
before

after

If anyone is interested, the paint color is Twenty Carat 
by (plain old) Behr paint from Home Depot.

2 comments:

  1. love it love it love it love it!!! Seriously amazeballs. You could make a living off this stuff!

    ReplyDelete