Friday, August 31, 2012

Four Eyes

I got glasses.

I was starting to get headaches at work from staring at the computer so long. So I headed to the eye doctor and ended up with a prescription for some lenses to be worn only when reading or looking at the computer.

While I was there, I went through the torture of having my eyes tested and dilated and examined.

There was a lovely moment when the doctor said that he was a little surprised to find a small cataract in my right eye since, being in my mid-thirties, that was pretty early in life to develop a cataract. "I'm in my mid-twenties," I corrected him.

I was met with wide eyes and an "Oh, right," and some additional exclamations about developing one so young. He was very reassuring and told me about the possibility of it not getting larger and how removable cataracts are and how, if one were to have a cataract, the best possible spot to get one is where mine is. I was only half paying attention as I blinked back the tears. I'm terribly afraid of losing my eyesight, as most people are I'm sure.

At the time it seemed like a pretty terrible thing to discover, but I'm not as upset now. At least cataracts are removable. At least it's small and against the far side of my eye. At least it's not affecting my vision currently. And I have my glasses now, which I love, and I'll wear my sunglasses and eat my orange vegetables and hope and pray for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment