Monday, March 12, 2012

Wicked

To end my eventful birthday weekend, Michael got us tickets to see the musical Wicked!
I've seen Wicked once before - in the nosebleed section - and it became one of my new favorites by the end of the third song. I listened to the soundtrack over and over again when I was pregnant, so June is familiar with the songs as well. If you're not familiar with it, Wicked is the back story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz.
If it's even possible, I enjoyed this performance even more than the first time I saw it. We had awesome seats in the center section of the 13th row. I loved the lead actresses - compared to the first time I saw it, the girl who played Elphaba was dorkier and the girl who played Glinda was sillier. Dorkiness and silliness are qualities I can appreciate in ingenues.

Let me tell you why I love Wicked so much... First, the music feels current. So while the Phantom of the Opera will likely always be my Ain True Love of musicals, Wicked is now king of the contemporary stage in my heart. And also: Wicked takes over the stage. When you have a traveling cast, it is often smaller and portraying large groups becomes difficult. I saw this especially with Beauty and the Beast. They had scenes with the villagers and with all of the castle dwellers (think "Be Our Guest") and the small cast just didn't fill out those songs enough. Even though Wicked might only have had 12-16 people in their chorus, they seemed to just overflow off the stage. The stage could barely contain them.

Thanks for reading my rambling! Off to listen to "For Good" and then rewind and sing again so I can attempt both the melody and the harmony!

No comments:

Post a Comment