Monday, March 5, 2012

The Superhero Cape

For Kai's birthday I decided to make him a superhero cape. This was my first real project with my new sewing machine and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but I love how it looks and loved the look on Kai's face even more when he opened it.

I looked around for some ideas online. The thing I most needed to know was measurements and I only found one useful site. I made some adjustments because most capes I saw were only one-sided (I wanted two) and had ties at the neck (I wanted velcro).

Here's my finished product:
Here you can see the blue satin side versus the shiny red side of the lining.
I also made a mask for him.
I just love the way stitching looks, don't you?
There was a sort of collective gasp among the kids when he opened it and put it on. The sound sort of made my heart break of happiness?
The mask was a little tight but that is an easy adjustment.
He zoomed around to give me and Michael hugs and then wore it as he opened the rest of his gifts.
A couple of women approached me afterwards to ask if I would make them a cape or two. Just in case anyone is interested, leave me a comment and I'll get in touch with you. Make sure to include your email address (I will delete the comment after contacting you so others don't see it).

And just for fun, I decided to make some little tags for the gifts using the leftover felt and some paper. (Made another one to Kai from June).
These tags took about 3 minutes to make. I love my sewing machine.

3 comments:

  1. Your cape was the highlight gift of the party! You did an incredible job on the sewing. You should go into business selling them. Soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Julie! I think that would be a great gift for William. You really have a money maker on your hands. If you could email me and let me know how much it would cost, I would love you! jvivace@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete