Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Leap Day Story

I don’t know when it was that I read the rules about leap year, but I did somewhere along the way.

Yesterday I was sitting and working dutifully in my cubicle when my boss’s boss, “Paul” and another male staff member, “Ryan” came over. They were talking to my boss, “Brenda” about leap year and about how easy it is to figure out if that year is a leap year. If the year ends in a number easily divisible by four, it is a leap year. Except if the year ends in 00. I was subconsciously listening, waiting for that last caveat. They didn’t say it, so I couldn’t resist.

“Except if the year is also divisible by 400,” I said.

“No,” the men agreed. “Like, the year 2000 wasn’t a leap year.”

“Yes it was,” I said. “2012…2008…2004…”

“Keep counting, you’ll get there,” Paul said.

“Go ahead and look it up if you want,” Ryan said.

The condescension was out, and JULIE WILL NOT STAND FOR THAT SHIT.

I wheeled back to my computer and Wiki’d this issue to death. I sent an email to the three of them with the following imaged Snipped into it: But since it's blurry and too small to read, let me quote from Wikipedia:

“Years that are evenly divisible by 100 are not leap years, unless they are also evenly divisible by 400, in which case they are leap years. For example, 1600 and 2000 were leap years, but 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not.”

“Hey-a, Ryan, want to…I don’t know…come over and…read this?” It’s very difficult for me to contain my gloating when I have been on the receiving end of such reckless condescension.

He came, he read, I danced.

I leaned back in my chair and kicked my legs straight up in spastic movements. I stood and fist-pumped into the air. I river danced. I ran up and down our little hallway while giving low-fives to imaginary people, then another lap to give them high-fives.

By then end of it, Paul was purple in the face from laughing so hard, Ryan was shaking his head slowly and Brenda was saying, "What was that they were saying about 'keep counting, you'll get there'?"

It was a Leap Day Victory and it was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment