Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DIY Free Breast Pumping Bra

Don't buy a breast pumping bra, please.

I tried a couple of different things when I first pumped. I tried just holding the two pieces against me. That's a bummer when you could be doing something else like reading or typing or anything other than holding breast pump horns against you. I tried cutting little holes in a sports bra. This worked but when you're not pumping you have little holes that your nips poke through. I solved this temporarily by using breast pads to cover the holes/absorb leaks but you could still see the nipple-shaped outline of the holes. Awkward.When I was returning to work I looked into bras or accessories they make and sell specifically for working women or other people who want to pump hands-free.

You have full bras like this one:
Sweet neckline! Love the way it creeps up your neck on the sides! I think I have AN shirt that this monster would go under unnoticed. But look how I could pump while doing important office work...in a completely natural photography studio! P.S. That is the most uncomfortable-looking sitting position. Price: $19.

You also have options like this:This goes on over the bra you're already wearing, meaning you don't have to wear the same bra to work every day. Feeling feisty? You can get them in snow leopard! Cost: $35.

I won't even begin to comment on this atrocity:
Oh wait, yes I will. Mostly because I'm not sure if it's your full bra or something you manuever yourself into at pumptime or should only be worn in the Elizabethan era because it probably requires a lace-up back. It also looks very snug (too tight = clogged ducts = mastitis) and you'd probably see those odd holes through a shirt. It's also $40.

Or you can go another route, one that will cost you at minimum nothing and maximum $2.99. This is what I've been doing for the 7 months since I've been back at work and it's something that either no one knows about or everyone knows about.

Materials: Four hair elastics (If you don't have four, go buy a package...hence the $2.99)

For decency's sake I'll wear a shirt under by bra for the demonstration, but only because Michael says that 'slipping a nip' is 'frowned upon.'
I'm purposefully wearing my least supportive nursing bra for demonstrative purposes. If this flimsy one can cut it, any bra can!

1. Unclip your nursing bra. This has also worked for me with regualr bras as long as they aren't super tight.
2. Pull an elastic through itself around the bottom part of the bra.
3. Do the same along the outside part of the bra.
4. Secure the pumping horn to your person using the loops formed by the elastics.
5. Repeat on other breast. Marvel at the resemblance to Madonna.
6. Attach the rest of the pumping bit.
A couple things. You might have to experiment with how stretched-out your elastics need to be to secure them tightly enough to your body. For me, this is a great way to use up the hair ties that are a little too loose for me to use with my hair anymore. Also, depending on how much you're pumping, these might need a little support once the milk starts weighing them down. I usually am a little leaned-forward anyway, reading or watching Best of Liz Lemon clips on my phone, so this isn't a problem for me.

Voila! Now if they only made hair elastics in snow leopard...

29 comments:

  1. you're not only the coolest person I know, but also the most innovative.

    so proud to be your friend right now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this. Awesome. Woks like a charm! Thank you so much for sharing this genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this. Awesome. Woks like a charm! Thank you so much for sharing this genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!! You have no idea how much you just changed my life with 4 little hair bands!!!! You are GENIUS!!!! Thanks a million-bajillion!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love my Simple Wishes pumping bra. It is not atrocious at all and very easy to wear. It is completely adjustable (not snug if you get the right size) and just zips around your clothes. You do not wear it all day, only when you pump. Not only does it free up your hands but it also gives you privacy for when you invariably will be walked in on by someone you'd rather not see your boobs. Plus, you don't have to set anything up (like hairbands) when you need to pump. This product was a life saver because our daughter spent 8 1/2 months in the NICU where there is minimal privacy and a lot of male staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love my Simple Wishes pumping bra. I am a nursing student and generally only have 10-15 minutes to pump and would not have time to set up the hair ties. I agree about the it giving you more privacy, too. I am usually doing this in a locker room or empty classroom. I think your idea is great, but I don't like that you dissed other options when you've never tried them. For those of us pumping with time limits and with limited privacy, the Simple Wishes pumping bra is perfect (and is cheaper than $40, by the way).

      Delete
    2. Oversensitive much, ladies?! It is humor. RELAX.

      Delete
  6. I just found this on Pinterest and have to say... you are my hero!!! I've been trying to figure out how to do this! I hated sitting there bored while I pumped with my first. I will definitely be trying this in a few months when the little guy arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was having trouble holding up the bottles and breast cups while pumping and hated having my hands completely occupied. This was a life saver! It also came in handy when I needed to pump one side while nursing on the other. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you posting this up! I love your blog! If you don't mind, I added this link into my blog for more mommies to check out! Please check it out at www.thememoirsofamommy.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Thank you so much. This really helped me out. I just started back working and I work from home and I needed a pumping bra but didn't have the budget to purchase one. I goggled... Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just Testing this out not using it to pump at the moment. Larger chested women will need 3 rubber bands on each side (add one more to the bottom on the outside f your bra) and it really squishes the boob but may work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this idea! It works wonderfully for me. I'm a 38DD (so, larger chested than many but not all) and it works perfectly. No extra squishing, no moving around either. I do recommend using new hair ties instead of worn out ones. I've found that they hold everything in place a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. damn it, only found two elastics, but thank you for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You...you...GENIUS! Amazing...THANK YOU..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol! I can totally relate to this! Thank you for the ingenious idea. ����

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity with the world! You are awesome Julie and Michael!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ingenious! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice thanks for you, I recommend you to amazon to buy one :

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GO1IOEW

    ReplyDelete
  18. THE idea for the ELASTIC HAIR TIES IS the BEST I have seen so far! Yes, you can purchase the zipup bras to go over your current bra but the problem is they don't come in everyone's sizes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Typing this comment while I double pump. You are heaven sent lol thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for providing great resource to mom who don't have budget to buy hand free pumping bra. I love your project and I have shared on my blog. You can see the post here http://www.creativemomsweb.com/mother-and-baby/best-hand-free-breastfeeding-products/

    ReplyDelete