Friday, November 5, 2010

It's A ...

GIRL!


And we're thrilled!

The whole ultrasound experience was so incredible! Especially since this was our first time seeing the little one!

Immediately we saw that there was only one baby in there, which put to rest some feelings of apprehension I'd had since my midwife mused, "I wonder if there're two in there." (She was remarking that my uterus was rather large.) We saw the baby's head and hands at first, so our technician, Trish, swept over to see what kind of baby we had. We got a funny straight-on look at the baby's butt and little legs and that empty gap in between! "This is a girl," Trish said, smiling. While Trish added a little arrow and the word "GIRL" to the screen, Michael and I squeezed each other's hands and couldn't peel our eyes from the screen.

I tell you, I could have stared at her all day.

She was so active in there! Even Trish commented on how squirmy she was! We'd have a great view of her and she'd wiggle around, or her hands would jerk up around her face. It's just incredible how much detail you can see in these ultrasounds. We could literally see all of the tiny bones of her spine at one point. We saw all four valves of her heart beating perfectly. We zoomed in on her face and watched her open and close her mouth!

Her squirminess was the cutest!

When I first learned that "it" was a "she," my mind first went to little tutus and dress up and Princess movies and girltime. It went to frilly little bloomers and Michael holding her up close against his shoulder. It went to tiny shin pads and tap shoes and shaky first steps. I can't wait to have a daughter!

I hope to post the pictures from the ultrasound as soon as I get a chance to upload them!

8 comments:

  1. Julie, I am overcome with emotion just reading your blog. My mind is also racing with thoughts of having a grandaughter, but I can assure you that it would equally be racing with thoughts of a grandson. It is so exciting to look forward to a new role in my life as a grandmother...more to love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie and Michael, I had tears in my eyes as I read your post. I especially loved the part about her being squirmy and opening and closing her mouth! She's going to be so loved by so many!!! I can't wait to buy pink and play tea party with my granddaughter! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled Julie! Think of all the craft days to come! I see many more fabric flowers to be made, and maybe flower headbands too :)
    and can I say, AGAIN
    I KNEW IT!
    But, now I'll tell you why I wanted, and knew this would be a girl. When I thought of you and Michael being parents, all I could imagine was Michael with a little pink baby girl. That was the first picture I had in my head of your baby :) and it has stayed there for the last few months.
    I can't wait to start spoiling this little one! In fact. I'm going shopping asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Julie!! I am so happy for you guys! I hear girls are great (I wouldn't know first hand haha). Becareful though.. Your daughter is going to be wrapped around your husbands pinky and you might have to wiggle in for some room too ;-)

    Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congrats you both. She sure will be wrapped around daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy bajoley.....a little Julie and Michael. But a little more Julie and a little less Michael.

    I can't wait to meet the little gem, and give her kisses and hug her and be her friend, kinda like you and smith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys. I totally know what you mean about not wanting to stop watching her on that screen. It's the greatest feeling in the world knowing you can start calling her by her name each time she squirms, kicks, and even gives you a "goose." We are so excited for you and wish you great joy and health through the pregnancy. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you!! I'm so glad you're having a girl. They are just so fun!

    ReplyDelete